Women's volleyball completes 2nd straight sweep with win against Dartmouth, extends win streak to 8

WVB v Dartmouth
Avery Luoma goes in for the kill. 
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

On Friday, Oct. 1, the women’s volleyball team won 3–0 (25–10, 25–22, 25–16) against Dartmouth in their second home game. This match extended the team’s winning streak to eight games.

The first set began with Dartmouth taking a 2–1 start, but quickly turned into a Princeton lead as a kill from senior middle blocker Julia Schner led the Tigers to a 5–2 advantage. From there, Princeton and Dartmouth traded points, with the Tigers building their lead to 15–9. Princeton then scored a decisive 7 unmatched points, putting them at 21–9. A block from junior outside hitter Elena Montgomery gave the Tigers the set point at 25–10.

The second set followed fashion, with Princeton gaining an early 8–5 advantage. However, Dartmouth was able to find its rhythm and gain some momentum, scoring 6 straight points to go up 11–8. After some hard fought rallies and the two teams exchanging points, the Tigers were able to keep it close, forcing Dartmouth to call a timeout with the score 21–18. Another kill from Schner propelled the Tigers to a 6 point run of their own, finishing the set with a 25–22 victory.

The third and final set began with an exciting back-and-forth between the two teams, but at 10–8, a kill by Montgomery led to a 5–0 Tigers run, pushing the Tigers up to a comfortable 15–8 lead. The Tigers held onto this lead to win the set 25–16 after yet another Schner kill, ending the match in a sweep: 3–0.

Junior right side hitter Avery Luoma ended with a match-high of 15 kills, while Schner led the team with a match-high four blocks, providing the fuel to improve the Tiger’s record to 8–2 overall and 2–0 in Ivy League play.

“I think the key to winning for us has definitely been focusing on the process,” said junior blocker Olivia Schewe. “I think a lot of times things can be very goal-oriented especially going into Ivy Season where you obviously want to come out champions. So for us, it’s just been kind of taking it game by game, point by point, practice by practice, and really focusing on honing our skills and improving every day.”

The women’s volleyball team also played Harvard at home on Saturday, Oct. 2 at 5 p.m. The Tigers will face Cornell in Ithaca, NY on Friday, Oct. 8 at 7 p.m.