NJ to expand vaccine eligibility on April 5

This expansion will render Princeton researchers and students who work on campus eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine.

vaccination.jpg
Katja Fuhlert / Pixabay

As of April 5, all educators and support staff at colleges and universities in New Jersey will be eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine, according to a Campus Community COVID-19 update on April 2. This includes all University researchers and students who work on campus. 

New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy announced this expansion on March 26 for those living, working, or studying in New Jersey.

On May 1, vaccine eligibility is expected to expand even further to those 16 and older, according to a March 29 memo from Dean of the Faculty Sanjeev Kulkarni and Vice President for Human Resources Lianne Sullivan-Crowley to University faculty and staff. 

Kulkarni and Sullivan-Crowley expressed gratitude to those who have been waiting to receive the vaccine. 

“We appreciate the patience of the many faculty and staff who have been waiting since December to gain the protection and peace of mind that the vaccine offers,” they explained.

The memo encouraged faculty and staff to consider registering with New Jersey’s Vaccine Scheduling System, and it expressed that up to three hours of paid time away from work is available to them per dose of the vaccine, without having to use their own paid time in the form of vacation, sick, bundled, or COVID-19 days.

Ultimately, the goal of getting a large proportion of the University population vaccinated is to “[come] together as “a fully in-person residential program” of teaching, research, and extra- and co-curricular activities in the fall.” 

The memo emphasized that Princeton’s Social Contract protocols of wearing face-coverings and practicing social distancing would continue to apply to vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals equally.

It is noted in the memo that the University is expected to serve as a center for vaccinations and is prepared to administer vaccines to members of the community as well as individuals working in the region, as designated by the state, as soon as they receive a supply from the state of New Jersey. The memo explained, however, that the best course of action at this time is to seek vaccination elsewhere.

More information can be found on Princeton’s COVID Resources webpage, including its vaccinations section, Human Resources’ Coronavirus Resources for Employees, and the Office of the Dean of the Faculty’s website.