Princeton Reunions 2021 goes virtual, in-person ’20 Commencement canceled

A decision on Class of 2021 Commencement has not been made

nassau n 1 Mark Dodici _ DP.JPG
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Reunions 2021 will take place virtually this year, according to an announcement from the University on Monday afternoon. A previously-rescheduled element of the Class of 2020’s Commencement ceremony will also not occur on campus.

No decision has been made regarding Commencement activities for the Class of 2021.

The cancellation announcement came in the form of a Twitter thread, which noted “inviting alumni back to campus from around the world is not prudent or possible.”

The Class of 2020 celebrated their Commencement virtually in late May, with an in-person element postponed to May 2021. Members of the Class of 2020 were also notified of this component’s cancellation in an email from the Office of the Dean of the College and the Office of the Vice President for Campus Life.

“Our community has faced a great deal of loss this past year. Students, faculty, and staff have lost loved ones, wrestled with this horrible disease themselves, and have seen their daily lives and future plans upended in ways none of us could have predicted,” the email read.

“For the Class of 2020, one of those losses was that we couldn’t conclude your Princeton experience with a full roster of spring activities, including a Commencement you could share with your friends and families or an invitation to your first Reunions as the Great Class of 2020,” the email continued.

Despite Reunions events being held virtually, the Office of Alumni Affairs noted in an email to alumni that they are “working with the class [of 2020] to find ways to honor their achievements and foster a strong sense of community with each other and the University.”

Alumni were also informed of the decision surrounding Reunions in the email from the Office of Alumni Affairs.

“With 40% of all undergraduate alumni’s major reunions now affected by the pandemic and the complexity of hosting 25,000 guests on campus,” the email read, “we do not anticipate the ability to accommodate a tripling-up of majors in spring of 2022.”

“Still, we are eager to work with relevant Reunions chairs and class leadership to find non-traditional alternatives for the affected 25th and 50th reunion classes (1995, 1996, 1970, and 1971) to mark these important milestones,” the email continued.

The University has not made a decision regarding Commencement or other end-of-year activities for the Class of 2021. According to the University’s Commencement Guide, they expect to have a decision by late February 2021.