Ivy League cancels winter athletic competition

ivy.png

Ivy League logo

Courtesy of The Ivy League

On Nov. 12, the Ivy League Council of Presidents made the unanimous decision that they will not be conducting athletic competitions for winter sports for the 2020–2021 academic year. 

“This has been obviously a year of heartbreak, and I am regretful that I’m once again with you as a bearer of bad news,” University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 said during a webinar hosted by the athletics department.

“We wish we could have found a way to go ahead with athletic competitions,” Eisgruber explained. “Our top priority is getting our students back to campus and operating safely in the midst of high infection rates.”

“Winter and fall sport student-athletes will not lose a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility, whether or not they enroll,” a press release from the Ivy League read. “Students who wish to pursue competition during a fifth-year of undergraduate education at their home institution, if permitted, or as a graduate student elsewhere will need to work with their institutions in accordance with campus policy to determine their options beyond their current anticipated graduation date.”

According to the press release, the decision regarding spring sport competition will be postponed until the end February 2021, where the status of Ivy League athletics during the COVID-19 pandemic will be reevaluated. 

“Campus policies, such as social distancing, will determine the details of athletic activities that can take place in the spring,” Athletic Director Mollie Marcoux Samaan ’91 explained. “Athletic activity will be suspended when campuses are closed and will resume if and when campus opens.”

Marcoux Samaan also explained that athletes will not return to campus earlier than the rest of the student body. The University is expected to make a decision regarding the spring semester in early December.

“A heartbreaking decision, but we felt that was the only way to proceed forward,” Eisgruber said. “I look forward to a day when we can bring you better news.”

“I’m a big believer in focusing on the things I can control,” Marcoux Samaan said. “I hope you do the same.”