Statement from the Interclub Council

Eating clubs
Eating clubs line Prospect Avenue.

The Interclub Council stands in firm solidarity with our Black members, the Black Lives Matter movement, and all of those who oppose the systemic racism which pervades our society. We wholeheartedly condemn the unjust murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and all the other people whose names we must and will remember because they were taken too soon.

In these difficult and emotional times, we stand with the Black members of the Princeton community and hope to see justice served. To this end, we call on our local and national leaders to do everything in their power to fix the institutions that have contributed to the unequal application of justice in our society.

However, we know that this job is not only up to them. While we can and should hold accountable those who unfairly apply the law, we know that at the end of the day, we cannot legislate hatred and bigotry out of our hearts. That duty is up to us, as individuals, to help each other to grow and to learn how we can eventually come to terms with America’s original sin, and how to root out its remains from our society.

As some of the oldest and most well-established organizations on campus, we recognize our and Princeton’s complex history with race and our role in directly recognizing and calling out the injustices that have impacted and continue to impact Black students. As student leaders, we pride ourselves on creating inclusive communities that value the exchange of ideas and experiences between members. In this moment, we must set a precedent for continued dialogue and engagement so that we can continue to improve.

Recognizing our history is merely the first step and we intend to do everything that we can to tackle these issues in our own homes. That is why we have decided to create a new initiative, the ICC Diversity and Inclusion Task Force, to bring these important conversations that are happening all across the world into our own clubs. We are looking forward to reinvigorating partnerships with student groups and the Office of Diversity and Inclusion to organize forums and share resources.

We would like for this program to have input from the thoughtful and passionate individuals in our community. It is our intention that these conversations will continue past this moment into the Fall semester. If you have an initiative or idea that you would like to propose, please reach out to either Karthik Ramesh (kramesh@princeton.edu) or Jaren McKinnie (mckinnie@princeton.edu).

We wish to begin this process today by proclaiming that Black lives have mattered and Black lives will always matter.

In solidarity,

The Interclub Council

Karthik Ramesh, Cap & Gown Club

Thea Zalabak, Terrace F. Club

Claire Guthrie, The Ivy Club

Jaren McKinnie, The Princeton Charter Club

David Hoffman, Cannon Dial Elm

Grace Atlee, Tiger Inn

Kai Zheng, Colonial Club

Hans Imhof, Cloister Inn

Nick Cefalu, University Cottage Club

Krystal Delnoce, Princeton Quadrangle Club

Fergus A. Binnie, Princeton Tower Club