USG to survey undergraduates for Fall 2020 preferences

04/25/20 USG Meeting
Caitlin Limestahl / The Daily Princetonian

In their April 25 meeting, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) discussed their upcoming survey to solicit undergraduate preferences for the Fall 2020 semester. The data will be used to draft a report that will be sent to the Office of the Dean of the College and the Office of the Vice President for Campus Life, among other administrative offices. 

“We want this to be a really comprehensive report so that student opinions are really being elevated as these big discussions are happening, of course keeping in mind that, ultimately, decisions rely on public health guidelines,” said USG President Chitra Parikh ’21.

This survey will differ from the University’s End of Year Assessment in that it will give students the opportunity to share more experience-based responses regarding the disrupted spring semester, like virtual classes or early move-out. 

The Senate also heard from Kimberly Betz, executive director of the Center for Career Development, who shared the resources the center is offering students regarding available internships and job offers. 

Betz said that the center will be continuing programming through the summer, unlike most years. 

Parikh asked how the center can help students whose job offers have been rescinded or pushed back to later starting dates, which especially affects international students whose visa statuses have been affected. 

“[The] first stop is Davis International Center, but then come and work with one of our advisers,” Betz suggested. “We could work together with the student to try to find out what would be the right solution so we don’t have anybody going out of compliance with their visa status.”  

Betz encourages students to utilize the Center for Career Development’s individual adviser appointments and drop in hours to receive career advising or help finding internships. 

The Senate meeting was held at 9:30 p.m. EDT via Zoom.