USG discusses Student Speaker Initiative, community engagement

usg2

USG officers at their weekly meeting on Feb. 16.

Photo Credit: Danielle Ranucci / The Daily Princetonian

At this week’s meeting, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) discussed recent developments regarding the Student Speakers Initiative, as well as goals to increase outreach and transparency within USG.

Tyler Eddy ’21 reported that over 1,300 students voted and demonstrated a desire for the Student Speaker Initiative during his trial program. As a result, a request was made to the COS 333 course for students to make a website for the nomination of the election to serve as their final project.

“The program no longer needs funding or administrative support,” Eddy said, in reference to the Student Speakers Initiative. “This has been provided by the numerous existing speaking groups on campus.”

Eddy also spoke about making the Student Speaker Initiative a committee as a part of USG.

The USG discussed using data to improve communication and outreach. USG Vice President Andres Larrieu ’22 examined the role that data collection could play in optimizing USG services.

For instance, during the USG Dean’s Date giveaway event, student participation exceeded expectations. According to Larrieu, collecting data on participation would enable USG to make more accurate predictions regarding the number of participating students.

Suggestions for the collection of data included prox swipes and sending out email surveys to participants.

The Transparency Task Force also gave its report, proposing two measures to increase student engagement with USG.

One suggestion was holding office hours for students to learn more about USG events, a program that began in the fall of 2019 and will continue this spring semester, on either Wednesdays or Thursdays.

“The [important] thing is getting more people to come to these meetings and any other meetings where the public is involved,” Larrieu said.

He added that public presence would enable students to perceive USG as an organization that welcomes engagement with the student body.

Finally, the Weekly Council of the Princeton University Committee update summarized Eisgruber’s Annual State of the University letter.

The meeting was open to the public and held in Lewis Library 138 from 7 to 8 p.m.