Men’s and women’s track and field heads to Ivy Heps at Cornell this weekend

wtrack Borstlap.jpg

Sophomore Hanne Bortslap competing in the pole vault during last weekend’s Princeton Invitational that the Tigers hosted at Jadwin Gym.

Photo courtesy of Beverly Schaefer / Princeton Athletics

The men’s and women’s track and field teams have a big weekend ahead of them in Ithaca, N.Y., with the indoor season culminating in the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships. The women are looking to improve upon their fifth-place finish from last year, while the men are hoping to defend their indoor team championship title. Both teams are hoping to build upon their momentum from strong individual performances throughout the season, as well as a team win on both sides at the Harvard-Yale-Princeton meet held several weeks ago.

Seeded first in the 1000m is junior Sam Ellis, who, in the midst of a breakout season, is also seeded second in the 800m and the mile. Sophomore and defending indoor champion CJ Licata is seeded first in the shot put, over one meter ahead of the second-ranked competitor from Harvard. Junior Jeff Hollis, already a two-time Ivy League champion, is seeded first in the high jump, well ahead of the rest of the field. In the pole vault, first-year Simen Guttormsen is the number one competitor going into the meet.

On the sprint side, the Tigers who seeded in the top six in their respective events include senior Justice Dixon and sophomore Simang'Aliso Ndhlovu in the 60m dash, sophomore Gregory Sholars and junior Katie DiFrancesco in the 200m, and sophomore Michael Phillippy in the 400m, as well as sophomores Christian Brown and Taraje Whitfield in the 60m hurdles. Senior Madeleine Sumner and junior Sophie Cantine are seeded in the top six in the 1000m, with Cantine also seeded fourth in the mile and third in the 3k. 

On the men’s side, senior Conor Lundy, junior Ed Trippas, and first-year Camren Fischer are seeded in the top six in the 3k. Lundy is also seeded second in the 5k in 14:00.33, which he ran as his season opener in early December. Trippas was the Outdoor Ivy League and NCAA Regional champion in the 3k steeplechase, while Fischer was the Cross Country NCAA Regional champion this past fall.

Three other first-years are ranked exceptionally well in the Ivy League. Charlotte O’Toole is seeded second with a personal-best time of 1:14.17. O’Toole is only seeded behind junior Uchechi Nwogwugwu from Penn — last year’s 400m Ivy League champion and Honorable Mention All-America. Maggie Hock is also ranked second in the League over 1000m in a time of 2:47.79, only 0.23 away from Yale sophomore Jocelyn Chau. Finally, Annika Kelly is seeded third in the weight throw with 18.19m.

On the field side, competitors seeded in the top six include sophomores Hanne Borstlap in the pole vault, Aviram Shwarzbard in the long jump, Adedayo Abeeb and Austin Princewill in the triple jump, as well as Luisa Chantler Edmond in the weight throw. Junior Kelton Chastulik and senior Ellen Scott-Young are also top-ranked in the shot put and weight throw, respectively.