Oseguera Serra ’20, Elzalabany ’20, Oxford student Parisi awarded Sachs Scholarship

nassau hall.jpg

Photo credit: Christopher Lillja/Office of Communications

Gabriela Oseguera Serra ’20, Yousef Elzalabany ’20, and Matteo Parisi of the University of Oxford have been named the recipients of the 2019 Daniel M. Sachs Class of 1960 Graduating Scholarship, one of the University’s most prestigious honors. 

The Sachs Scholarship allows recipients to travel, study, work around the world, and further their research that will benefit the public. Because Sachs attended Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar, the scholarship allows a graduate from Oxford to study for a year at Princeton.

Oseguerra Serra was named a Sachs Scholar at Oxford’s Worcester College, an award that will allow her to study there for two years.

Oseguerra Serra is concentrating in politics and pursuing a certificate in global health and health policy. According to a University statement, Oseguerra Serra is going to pursue a master of philosophy in development studies while at Oxford. 

oseguera-serra-gabriela.jpg
Gabriela Oseguera Serra ’20 will be pursuing a Master of Philosophy in Development Studies as a Sachs Scholar. Sameer A. Khan / Fotobuddy

Elzalabany was named a Sachs Global Scholar, which will fund one to two years of study outside of the United States.

He is majoring in Near Eastern Studies and pursuing certificates in creative writing and humanistic studies. According to the statement, Elzalabany “proposes to spend the first year of his Sachs Global Scholarship studying Sufism in Cairo and Istanbul, and aims to spend the second year pursuing a master’s degree in Islamic intellectual history at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) in London.”

“I’m incredibly grateful for the mentors, friends, and communities on campus who have supported me throughout my time at Princeton and encouraged me to pursue my interests even as they changed and evolved across the years,” Elzalabany wrote in an email to the Daily Princetonian. 

He attributes much of his success and interest in Islamic history to the Muslim community at the University.

“I definitely would not have imagined pursuing anything along these lines when I first matriculated, and it would not have been possible to broaden my horizons and discover my interest in Islamic history without having a loving Muslim community on campus as my foundation,“ Elzalabany said.

20200109_ElzalabanyY_DJA_035_crop.jpg
Yousef Elzalabany ’20 was named a Sachs Global Scholar. Denise Applewhite / Office of Communications

Parisi was named the Sachs Scholar at Princeton, which will allow him to study at the Princeton Graduate School for a year. 

Parisi is in his third year of PhD studies in mathematics at Oxford’s Worcester College. He has a master’s degree in theoretical and mathematical physics and a Bachelor of Science in physics. 

Parisi hopes to work with University faculty members whose research interests complement his own. He has published several papers on the amplituhedron, a relatively new geometric structure.

“The Scholarship, for me, is an instance of freedom: the possibility to be, to learn, to discover, to change. While I will miss Oxford, I am looking forward to embracing this new experience,” he wrote in an email to the ‘Prince.’ 

Matteo-Parisi_Sachs-Scholar.jpg
Matteo Parisi will be studying as a visiting graduate student at the University under the Sachs Scholarship. Photo courtesy of Matteo Parisi.