Men's soccer falls short in double-overtime, draws 1–1 with Brown

HamptonStock.jpg
Danny Hampton scored Princeton's only goal against Brown. Photo Credit: Jack Graham / The Daily Princetonian

Playing against the Brown Bears (1–6–2 overall, 0–1–1 Ivy League) in Providence, R.I. this Saturday, men’s soccer (6–3–1, 0–1–1) faced 110 minutes of adversity. The Tigers conceded a 13th-minute goal to the lower-ranked Bears, earned four yellow cards in the span of 18 minutes, lost two starters — one to a red card, the other to injury — and suffered through an excruciating double overtime. Even senior forward Danny Hampton’s 87th-minute goal was not enough to energize the Tigers: the game ended in a 1–1 draw. 

Princeton junior forward Kevin O’Toole took the first shot of the game, at 11 minutes in. Less than three minutes later, the play took a turn for the worse, with Brown’s Jackson Goebel converting a long cross into the box and scoring the first goal of the game, assisted by Austin Lind. 

With the Bears ahead by one, Princeton began to fight back. The 25th minute saw three shots in eight seconds by first-year forwards Daniel Diaz Bonilla and Walker Gillespie and junior midfielder Frankie DeRosa, but Brown’s defense deftly saved them all. By halftime, Princeton was outshooting Brown 8–4.

The second half opened with another string of challenges for the Tigers. A red card in the 54th minute saw the departure of sophomore forward Truman Gelnovatch, shortly followed by the substitution, due to an injury, of first-year defender Gen Lucas for sophomore defender Alex Charles. 

The blow seemed to provide Princeton’s defense with some strength; in its wake, senior goalie Jacob Schachner made two exceptional saves that kept the possibility of equalizing well within reach. Sophomore midfielder Ryan Clare sent Brown keeper James Swomley leaping to make a save in the 75th minute. This tussle came to a head in the 86th minute, when Hampton’s free kick — and first goal of the season — brought the score to 1–1.

Princeton dominated in overtime, outshooting the Bears 10–3. Diaz Bonilla’s 90th minute near-miss and O’Toole’s 102nd-minute shot, which bounced off the frame, were among several attempts by the Tigers to get ahead. But at the end of overtime, the score remained the same. 

All in all, Princeton outshot Brown 28–12 over two regular halves and two overtime periods. The Bears out-fouled the Tigers 21–17; this generated four yellow cards and one red card. The draw leaves the Tigers second from the bottom on the Ivy League standings.

Head coach Jim Barlow ’91 believes the team fought valiantly. “We controlled most of the second half, wound up with a number of good scoring chances, and limited [Brown] to only a few. I was really proud of the effort and thought we deserved another goal.” They will be looking to improve upon their offensive. In the words of Barlow, “For all of our possession lately, we need to start scoring more.”

Princeton returned home to face Lehigh (8–3–1, 4–0–1) yesterday and will play Columbia (3–4–3, 1–0–1) on Oct. 19. Last time the Tigers met the Lions, Princeton walked away with a 2–1 win. A repeat performance could boost Princeton’s flailing Ivy League performance.