Weekend Review: April 21

MVBChamps.jpg
The team lifts the EIVA trophy after winning the championship. Photo Credit: GoPrincetonTigers

Women’s Tennis

After defeating Brown 4–0 on Saturday and securing at least a share of the Ivy League title as well as the League’s bid in the NCAA tournament, the team made history on Sunday with a 4–0 win against Yale, taking full ownership of the conference title and winning their second back-to-back season without a single loss. Senior captain Nicole Kalhorn and first-year Brianna Shvets won their doubles match in both games. Sophomores Nathalie Rodilosso and Stephanie Schrage won their doubles match against Brown, and first-year Grace Joyce and junior Clare McKee won theirs against Yale. The team won every singles match with victories from Joyce, Kalhorn, McKee, Schrage, and Shvets. 

Men’s Volleyball

Men’s volleyball defeated Penn State 3–2 on Saturday, lifting the EIVA championship trophy for the first time since 1998. Princeton won the first set, lost the second, and won the third, only for Penn State to win the fourth and send the game to a tiebreaking fifth set. In order to win the deciding set, a team needs to attain 15 points. Princeton led 14–13 in the final minutes of the match when junior George Huhmann, recently named EIVA Player of the Year, had the kill of his career, handing the championship and NCAA berth to Princeton. He was subsequently named MVP of the tournament. Because the team was the regular season champion, they had home court advantage, hosting the tournament in Dillon Gym. 

Men’s Golf

At Hidden Creek Golf Club in Egg Harbor, N.J., the men’s golf team clinched the Ivy League title by one point, hitting 875 strokes to Columbia’s 876. Junior Evan Quinn placed second with +4 overall. Sophomore Sam Clayman tied for third at +5; first-year Max Ting tied for seventh at +7; sophomore Jake Mayer tied for 22nd at +12; and sophomore Jack Roberts tied for 26th at +14 with one of five eagles at the tournament. As champions, the Tigers are automatically given a berth to the NCAA regionals. 

Women’s Lacrosse

Currently tied for first in the Ivy League, the team’s victory over Yale this weekend earned them a spot in the Ivy League Tournament with one regular season game to go. The Tigers defeated the Bulldogs 19–4 on Saturday, dominating Yale in the first half with 14 goals and finishing off the game strong. Sophomore attacker Kyla Sears broke the 100 career goal mark during the game — she had six goals and an assist. First-year middie Lillian Stout scored twice in her first multi-goal game of her career. 

Men’s Lacrosse

The Tigers’ playoff hopes are still alive after the team defeated Harvard 19–15 on Saturday. The team went up 7–4 in first quarter and remained in the lead for the rest of the fast-paced game. Princeton and Harvard had a combined 95 shots and 94 ground balls. Junior attacker Michael Sowers had three goals and seven assists for a total of 10 points to tie the program’s career all-time points record at 247. If the team beats Cornell by at least three points this coming weekend, they are guaranteed a spot in the Ivy League Tournament. 

Players of the Weekend

George Huhmann, Men’s volleyball: Huhmann was named EIVA Player of the Year earlier this week. The junior had the final kill of the EIVA championship, handing Princeton their first trophy since 1998 and earning himself MVP of the tournament.

Kyla Sears, Women’s lacrosse: Sears had six goals and an assist in the game against Yale on Saturday, propelling the team to a strong victory. The six goals put her over the 100 goal mark in her career at Princeton.