NJ Senator Cory Booker announces presidential bid

Cory Booker.jpg
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.

On Friday, Feb. 1, New Jersey Senator Cory Booker announced he is running for president, becoming the fourth Democratic senator to join the crowded 2020 field. 

A video Booker released Friday morning made the announcement official, emphasizing collective action on behalf of the American people.

“Together, we will channel our common pain back into our common purpose,” Booker said in the video.

At 49, Booker is the youngest Senator to announce a bid for the presidency so far. Booker is the first African American Senator from New Jersey.

Booker also took to Twitter to make the announcement, encouraging his followers to unite with people around shared values. 

When one Twitter user informed Booker that Trump would “crush his soul,” Booker responded, “My soul belongs to God. I fear no man.”

The University selected Booker to be Class Day speaker for the Class of 2018. At the event, Booker instructed graduates on the importance of service, mentorship, and confidence.

“Walk into every room, go to every place, and embrace the world with your spirit and your truth,” Booker said to the graduates. “If you do that, if you live that way, if you strut like you are powerful than I promise you that generations yet unborn will know of your light and your love.”

Booker is a Rhodes Scholar who studied United States history at the University of Oxford. Afterwards, he received a J.D. at Yale Law School in 1997. Booker has been in the Senate since his election in 2013 and currently sits on the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, the Committee on the Judiciary, the Committee on Small Business and Entrepreneurship, and the Committee on the Environment and Public Works.

Prior to his Senate career, Booker served as a member of Newark’s city council. Beginning in 2006 and up until his election to the U.S. Senate, he served as mayor of Newark.