Weekend Review Dec. 9

Men’s basketball vs. St John’s at Madison Square Garden, 74–89

The men’s basketball team faced St. John’s last Sunday, falling 74–89 to the Red Storm. Playing in MSG for the first time since 2000, the Tigers nonetheless had an impressive performance for the ten thousand spectators in attendance. While senior guard Devin Cannady scored 18 points, freshman guard Jaelin Llewellyn opened his collegiate career with 17 points. Junior center Richmond Aririguzoh and junior guard Jose Morales also earned double digits at 14 and 13 points, respectively. 

Women’s basketball vs. Quinnipiac, 54–42

The Tigers overpowered Quinnipiac 54–42 at Jadwin Gymnasium last Saturday. The team was led by junior guard and forward Bella Alarie, the 2018 Ivy League Player of the Year, who made her return after an arm injury. The junior put 16 points on the scoreboard and contributed a career-high 19 rebounds, two blocks, two steals, and two assists. The team now stands at 3–7 for the season.

Men’s hockey vs. Arizona State

The men’s hockey team recorded two defeats in last weekend’s doubleheader against No. 19 Arizona State at Hobey Baker Rink. The Sun Devils took the first match 4–0, despite the Tigers outshooting them 21–8 in the second half. Princeton came out stronger on Saturday, equalizing the game at 2–2 in the second half with goals from senior forwards Ryan Kuffner and Max Veronneau. The two teams went into overtime, the Sun Devils coming out on top after a goal in the third minute to bring the score to 3–2. 

Women’s Hockey at Rensselaer and Union: W 5–2, W 4–0

No. 6 Princeton women’s hockey tied its program record for most consecutive unbeaten games at 12 this weekend with wins over RPI and Union. Friday night, Princeton beat RPI convincingly, winning 5–2 with four players recording two-point games. Saturday, junior goaltender Stephanie Neatby held Union scoreless in her first game of the season, a 4–0 win. Freshman forward Sarah Fillier and junior forward Carly Bullock each had a goal and an assist. Princeton is now 9–0–3 in its last 12 games and has the longest unbeaten streak in the nation.

Wrestling at No. 14 Virginia Tech and Virginia: L 16–24 and W 28–15

In a weekend trip to Virginia, wrestling came away with a win and a loss. At Virginia Tech, Princeton lost 24–16 against a team with six ranked wrestlers, although fifth-ranked sophomore Patrick Brucki earned a win against No. 17-seeded Tom Sleigh from Virginia Tech, and freshman Virginia native Marshall Keller earned a win by technical fall. Princeton rebounded with a 28–15 win over Virginia the next day. Keller and Brucki both earned wins by fall, and No. 1-seeded junior Matthew Kolodzik stayed unbeaten on the season with a 12–1 major decision win.

Player of the week

Marshall Keller, Wrestling

Competing in his home state, Keller won both of his matches this weekend in the 141-pound weight class, first earning a win by technical fall against Virginia Tech, then pinning his opponent against Virginia.

Jaelin Llewellyn, Men’s basketball

Freshman guard Jaelin Llewellyn made his collegiate debut to the tune of 17 points in a tough loss against St. John’s. This was also the first time the Tigers had played in MSG since 2000.