Women’s ice hockey stays unbeaten in first weekends of Ivy play

WIHbullock.jpg
Carly Bullock scored 4 goals against Yale in women's hockey's opening weekend

After its road trip to Madison, Wis., to take on the No. 1 Wisconsin Badgers, Princeton women’s ice hockey came home for four games over the past two weekends against Ivy League opponents. The Tigers (3–2–1 overall, 3–0–1 Ivy League) were unbeaten in these four games — beating Yale (0–4, 0–4), Brown (5–2, 2–2), and Dartmouth (1–4, 0–3) and tying Harvard (2–3–1, 1–1—1). In its three victories, Princeton outscored its opponents 15–4, scoring at least four goals in all three games and conceding an average of 1.33.

Over this stretch, the Tigers have been led offensively by junior forward Carly Bullock, who  picked up right where she left off at the end of last season. Over these four games, Bullock has had seven goals and three assists, including four against the Bulldogs. Bullock has not done it all on her own, though, as freshman forward Maggie Connors also had a hat trick the next night against the Bears. In addition to these two standout performances, Princeton has gotten scoring from several different players, a sign of the depth that senior forward Karlie Lund talked about before the season. Junior defender Claire Thompson has also accumulated two goals and two assists over these four games, earning her the title of the Tigers’ leading scoring defender.

Another strength of Princeton’s so far this season has been its play on special teams. Defensively, the Tigers have effectively stifled their opponents, having only allowed two goals on 21 power play opportunities in conference play for their opponents. On the other hand, Princeton has scored five goals on its 20 power play opportunities in conference play, for a plus-three advantage on the power play.

Lastly, the Tigers have been able to get good play from two of their goalies this season, sophomore Rachel McQuigge and freshman Cassie Reale. Both have save percentages over 90 percent and goals against averages under two in conference play. Reale got her first career start against Brown where she made 17 saves in the win.

Next weekend, Princeton will go on the road again to take on the Syracuse Orange (4–6) in Syracuse, N.Y., at the Tennity Ice Pavilion. The Tigers will play two games over the weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday afternoon, both at 2 p.m. These two games are the last two road non-conference games that Princeton will play this year. Wins in these two games will help the Tigers push to get ranked in the USCHO.com poll, where it received votes in last week’s ranking. For those unable to make the trip to upstate New York, there will be live stats available and the Princeton Women’s Ice Hockey Twitter (@PWIH) will also have live game updates.