Tigers defeat Penn 2–1 in overtime, stay atop Ivy League table

PU MSOC vs. Penn
Princeton University men's soccer vs. Penn, Princeton, NJ, November 3, 2018.

The men’s soccer team pulled out another clutch performance in a thrilling overtime win against Ivy League rival Penn. The Tigers now stand atop the league tables with a shot at the Ivy League title and the league’s automatic NCAA bid. In their way is Columbia — the Lions are one point back in second place heading into the final conference match of the season, making for a heated title race.

The Tigers came in knowing a win against Penn would be crucial for their championship hopes. With the urgency of a league title on the line, the Princeton side showed its usual poise, outshooting the Quakers 17–4 over the course of the match. The Orange and Black would open the scoring with a goal from senior forward Will Lentz late in the first half. However, a Penn equalizer would force overtime.

This set the stage for senior Jeremy Colvin to once again pull Princeton over the finish line. Colvin would score his fifth game-winning goal of the season with a 98th minute golden goal. The senior forward has proven lethal in clutch situations this season, with all five of his goals coming in as game winners.

The win marks the third straight for Princeton. The Tigers have been undefeated in their last eight matches and have not lost a game since the Ivy League season began. In fact, Princeton has not dropped points in conference play since its first match against Dartmouth, which ended in an exciting 2–2 overtime tie.

The Tigers will be looking to carry their recent form to finish the season. Now, setting their sights on the Bulldogs, Princeton will close out the Ivy League season in New Haven. A win against Yale would give the Tigers the title, but a draw or a loss opens the door for Columbia to scoop the top spot from under them. Princeton will need to match Columbia’s result against Cornell to secure their position at the top of the table.

Yale currently sits at sixth in the Ivy League, with just one conference win. However, the Bulldogs could still be formidable opponents in front of a home crowd and with less pressure to produce a result. Princeton will undoubtedly be looking for the win, but the team will need to maintain its usual poise, especially in the dying moments of the match.

As Princeton soccer heads into its biggest game of the season, fans will not want to miss this matchup between the Tigers and the Bulldogs. The game will take place Saturday, Nov. 10, at 4 p.m. The match will be available on ESPN+.