Women’s volleyball crushes Cornell, Columbia

Group_Brown306.JPG

The women’s volleyball team played a first-place showdown this past weekend against Cornell, while also adding a league game against Columbia. Princeton and Cornell are two of the three teams who, as of last Friday, had winning records in the Ivy League.

The Tigers (13–5 overall, 4–0 Ivy League) took the game over Cornell (8–8, 4–3) with a 3–0 (25–21, 25–17, 25–17) win. With their first game back in Dillon after their loss against Harvard the weekend before, they quickly gained control over the game. Junior outside and right side hitter Devon Peterkin led the offense with 16 kills while sophomore middle blocker Clare Lenihan added 11 kills and two blocks. Junior setter Jessie Harris, the current leader in assists for the Ivy League, had 37 assists overall, while also adding seven digs to the defense. Also leading the defense, sophomore outside hitter Alexa Underwood and freshman defensive specialist Cameron Dames both had nine digs, while sophomore defensive specialist Lauren Flaming added eight to the mix.

Saturday was another great 3–0 win (25–20, 25–15, 25–16) for the Tigers against Columbia (9–8, 3–4). Junior right side hitter Maggie O’Connell lead the offense with 11 kills, while two-time Ivy League Player of the Week Peterkin had 10 kills and eight digs. Underwood, Dames, and Harris also added to the defense with seven digs apiece. Harris also racked up 31 assists.

The game against Columbia was accompanied with an exciting and special event for Princeton’s volleyball program as a whole. A banner was raised in Dillon Gym for former head coach Glenn Nelson, the coach with the most wins with one team in Princeton Athletics history. Glenn completed 26 seasons coaching both the women’s and men’s teams. Between these two programs, he had 1,084 wins and a historical 14–0 mark in Ivy League play with the women’s team. No team except the one that Glenn coached had gone undefeated since the new double-round-robin format was adopted in 2001. Glenn was also the only coach in collegiate volleyball history to take both a men’s and a women’s volleyball team to the NCAA tournament in the same year. Princeton raised a banner in his honor that had all of his milestones, for both men’s and women’s teams, and his overall wins for his career.

This coming weekend, the Tigers will be facing Penn at home in Dillon Gym. In their last meet-up against Penn, the Tigers took a 3–0 win, with Peterkin and Lenihan leading the offense and Underwood holding the defense steady. Lenihan currently leads the Ivy League in hitting percentage. Penn’s Ravel Sulaimon leads her team in kills with 188 overall, seventh in the Ivy League, while Grace James sets the offense up with a total of 402, putting her at third in the league.

The match against Penn will be in Dillon Gym at 7 p.m. and will also be aired on ESPN+.