Women’s soccer beats Columbia 1–0 in crucial game

WSOCcolumbia.jpg
Amy Paternoster scored her first career goal in a 1-0 win against Columbia

Women’s soccer earned a tight victory over Columbia University in New York on Sunday, Oct. 14, scoring one and keeping a clean sheet for themselves.

The Tigers were off to a dominant start, with two shots in the first ten minutes. A corner kick by junior midfielder Sophia Gulati in the ninth minute led to a shot on target by junior Tomi Kennedy, which was blocked. Sophomore defender Tatum Gee hit one wide in the next minute.

Columbia’s first shot on Princeton came in the eleventh minute. Lions midfielder Jessica Schildkraut had a chance on goal but shot it wide.

Princeton senior forward Mimi Asom hit a header in the 25th minute but the ball went over the crossbar.

In the 34th minute Princeton junior Courtney O’Brien was substituted in for Kennedy. Three minutes later, freshman forward Amelia Paternoster was subbed in for junior Abby Givens. Both players were vital to the Tigers’ only goal of the match, just a few minutes later.

In the 38th minute as the half drew near, O’Brien gained control of the ball outside of Columbia’s goal box and hit a well-placed cross to Paternoster, who was wide open in front of the goal. As Lions keeper Sophie Whitehouse rushed at her, Paternoster shot right through the keeper’s legs, finding net and giving the Tigers their crucial goal.

The first half saw Princeton with four shots to Columbia’s three. The Tigers also had more fouls than the Lions, five versus four. Both teams had one corner kick and no saves.

Princeton’s goalie, junior Natalie Grossi, had her first save three minutes after the half started after a shot by Schildkraut. She saved another in the 52nd minute, after Columbia forward Jordyn Geller hit one on target.

Princeton’s Kennedy had another opportunity on goal in the 81st minute, but it was blocked by Columbia’s keeper. Columbia went on the counter-attack and had two shots in ten seconds, one saved by Grossi and the other blocked. In the last minute, forward Asom hit one off the post. The game ended at 1–0.

Grossi’s clean sheet against Columbia on Sunday puts her in second place for the most number of clean sheets in a career at Princeton, tied with Jordan Rettig ’01. The goalie finished the game with three saves.

Paternoster’s goal was the first goal that Princeton has scored against Columbia since the 2015 season three years ago. The past two years the Tigers have lost to the Lions 2-0, at home in 2017 and in New York in 2016. The last time Princeton won — or even scored — against Columbia in New York was in 2012, when the Tigers earned a 2–1 win.

Sunday’s victory was also head coach Sean Driscoll’s second ever win against Columbia. His first was in his rookie season where the Tigers crushed the Lions 3-1 at Roberts Stadium in Princeton. 

Princeton’s all-time record against Columbia is now 22-8-4. 

The Tigers will take on Harvard this Saturday, at home.