Women’s soccer finished non-conference play with win over Bucknell

gee1.jpg

The women’s soccer team (7–2–2 overall, 1–0–1 Ivy League) finished non-conference play this past Tuesday with a game against Bucknell (5–7–1) at home. The Tigers took the lead early, scoring a quick goal in the third minute. The early goal would be the only one of the match as the Tigers’ side held on to edge out the Bison 1–0. This was the eighth victory in 10 all-time meetings between the teams.

The only goal of the game came in the third minute from first-year forward Gabi Juarez. A well-threaded pass from first-year midfielder Caroline Noonan took a deflection off a Bucknell defender, landing in front of Juarez. A well-weighted chip lifted the ball over the opposition goalkeeper and into the back of the net. The goal lifted the Tigers to their seventh win of the season.

Despite the score line, the Tigers outshot the Bison 21–7. Princeton had seven shots on target in the game. The shutout extended Princeton’s shutout streak to 400 minutes — the last goal the Tigers conceded was a goal against Georgetown (10–0–2) on Sept. 13.

This was the final non-conference game of the season for the Tigers. They will now play five consecutive Ivy League games, the first of which will be against Brown (4–6–1, 0–2–0). Last year, the Princeton side rallied past the Bears for a narrow 2–1 victory in conference play. Sophomore forward Courtney O’Brien scored two goals in under a minute to lead a Princeton comeback.

Currently, the Tigers sit in a four-way tie for second place in the Ivy League. Princeton has beaten Yale (5–4–1, 0–2), 3–0, and tied Dartmouth (5–3–2, 1–0–1), 0–0, for a 1–0–1 league record. The game against Brown will be crucial as the Princeton side looks to distance itself from the pack. Columbia (5–4–1) currently sits atop the standings with a perfect 2–0 record. Last season, the Lions finished in second place behind the Tigers, who had an impressive 6–1 record. Princeton’s lone loss came from a 2–0 defeat at the hands of Columbia, however.

Princeton will try to recreate the magic that propelled it to the NCAA quarterfinals last season. The Tigers pulled an amazing upset against No. 2 University of North Carolina in overtime to secure a historic win.

The Tigers continue Ivy League conference play this Saturday, Oct. 6, when Princeton hosts Brown at Sherrerd Field. The game will be broadcast on ESPN+.