Sept. 17 Weekend Review

Football @ Butler: W 50–7

Football kicked off its season in dominant fashion with a 50–7 road win against Butler. Senior quarterback John Lovett, who missed the entire 2017 season due to injury, returned to lead a prolific Princeton offense Saturday, throwing for 177 yards and two touchdowns and adding another 48 yards and two touchdowns rushing. His favorite target was senior wide receiver Jesper Horsted, who caught both passing touchdowns, along with 140 yards receiving. Senior running back Charlie Volker was near unstoppable on the ground, rushing for 162 yards and two touchdowns. Princeton was also stellar defensively, limiting Butler to 259 total yards and just one touchdown, while forcing two turnovers.

Women’s Volleyball vs. UNH: W 3–1, vs. Maryland: W 3–2, vs. Temple: L 1–3

The reigning Ivy League champions participated in the 2018 Cherry & White Challenge this weekend at McGonigle Hall at Temple University, defeating the University of New Hampshire 3–1 on Friday and the University of Maryland 3–2 on Saturday. Junior outside hitter Devon Peterkin and junior right-side hitter Maggie O’Connell were key in the win over Maryland, contributing 16 and 14 kills respectively. The latter match was the second Big Ten win for the Tigers in 2018 (they beat Northwestern in their season opener), but the team then fell to Temple 3–1 to conclude the weekend.

Field Hockey vs. Monmouth: W 4–1, vs #13 Delaware: W 4–2

The Tigers hosted the Monmouth Hawks Friday afternoon at Bedford Field. Princeton toppled Monmouth 4–1 with goals from senior midfielder Elise Wong, sophomore midfielder MaryKate Neff, freshman striker Ali McCarthy, and senior striker Sophia Tornetta. Junior goalkeeper Grace Baylis contributed two saves to the match. Sunday, the fifth-ranked Tigers took down thirteenth-ranked Delaware 4–2, with sophomore midfielder Julianna Tornetta contributing two of the goals for Princeton.

Men’s Soccer vs. Boston University: W 1–0:

The men’s soccer team defeated Boston University on Sherrerd Field this past Saturday. Princeton had 22 shots on goal, as opposed to BU’s 4 and scored one to move past the Terriers 1–0. Senior midfielder/forward Jeremy Colvin delivered the game-winning shot in the 62nd minute with the assist going to junior defender Bobby Hickson. The win brought Princeton’s record on the season to 3–3.

Women’s Soccer vs. Drexel: Draw 0–0

Women’s soccer played Drexel to a relatively uneventful scoreless draw against Drexel Sunday evening. The two teams were evenly matched, with Drexel posting 12 shots and four shots on goal and Princeton putting together 10 shots, three on goal. Freshman forward Gabi Juarez generated most of the opportunities for Princeton offensively, contributing Princeton’s only three shots on goal. Junior goalkeeper Natalie Grossi made four saves to keep Drexel off the board.

Individual Performances of the Weekend

Senior wide receiver Jesper Horsted

Horsted helped propel Princeton’s offense to a 50-point performance in their season opener against Butler. He was on the receiving end of 140 of Princeton’s 214 passing yards and also caught two touchdowns.

Senior forward/midfielder Jeremy Colvin

Colvin scored the only goal in Princeton’s 1–0 win over Boston on Saturday. The goal came immediately after a corner kick, as junior defender Bobby Hickson found the open Colvin, who finished the goal.