No. 5 field hockey drop first home game of season to No. 3 Terrapins

FHmaryland.jpg

Whether it was fourth-ranked Duke (6–2 overall), 13th-ranked Delaware (4–4 overall), or even unranked Monmouth (3–5 overall), the Tigers’ field hockey team (5–3 overall) has been able to defend its home field throughout the early part of the season. But after their double-overtime thriller against No. 3 Maryland (9–0 overall), the fifth-ranked Tigers no longer have a perfect record at home.

Facing their eighth team this season and their fourth match against teams in the top five, the Tigers met their match at home, falling 5–4 in stunning double-overtime fashion against the Maryland Terrapins on Bedford Field Tuesday night. Leading 3–1 at halftime and then 4–1 early in the second half, the Tigers gave up four straight goals en route to their first home loss of the season. It was an uncharacteristically high-scoring game for the opposing team, as prior to Tuesday night’s contest, the Tigers had given up two goals or less in every game. This was also the first time all season that the Tigers gave up more than one goal in the second half.

In the first half, the Tigers looked poised to garner a win against another top five team. After a goal in the first minute from the Terrapins, the Tigers rattled off three goals in the next 25 minutes. Sophomore forward Clara Roth scored the first two goals for Princeton, the second being a redirect, to give the Tigers the early 2–1 lead. In the 28th minute, Roth tallied her third point of the game after assisting senior midfielder and forward Jane Donio-Enscoe, who gave the Tigers a 3–1 lead at the half.

Following a converted penalty by sophomore midfielder Julianna Tornetta, the Tigers were up 4–1. But the Terrapins rallied, scoring three goals, dominating possession, and constantly forcing Princeton back into its defensive zone in the final 20 minutes. The last goal — surely the most heartbreaking for the Tigers — came with 15 seconds remaining in the game; with the Terrapins playing without a goalie, the 11-player attack was able to cause enough ball movement to redirect a shot into the Princeton goal just before the final horn sounded. All of a sudden, the game that looked to be in the Tigers’ grasp was tied.

Carrying the momentum into overtime, it took a second overtime for Maryland to finally finish the comeback win. The Tigers played hard defensively throughout the overtime periods, but in the end couldn’t stop a hard Terrapin shot in the 81st minute. The loss halted the Tigers’ winning streak at two, and left Princeton with a 5–3 record as they begin the bulk of Ivy League play.

Up next for the Tigers is a showdown at home against Dartmouth this Saturday. The Tigers will look to take the Ivy League title again and will be hoping to kick things off on a high note.