Women's Weekend Review

Fish_DSC_0328.jpg

Softball @ Harvard: L 0–3

The rough season continues for the women after a disappointing three game sweep to the rival Crimson this weekend. The Tigers managed to plate three runs in each, but were done in by their defense, who gave up 26 runs in the three game series. The Tigers are now 2–4 in Ivy League play, and 4–18 overall. They return home for a three game series against Dartmouth this weekend.

Women’s Lacrosse @ Delaware: W 16–9

The 19th-ranked Tigers are back over .500 after a 16–9 thrashing of the Delaware Blue Hens this weekend. Eight Tigers scored in the game, including senior midfielder Ellie McNulty and freshman midfielder Kyla Sears, who each had a hat trick. At one point, trailing 4–2, the Tigers would rattle off the next 10 goals to put the game out of reach midway through the second half. Princeton is now 5–4 on the season and will hit the road this weekend to take on Harvard, looking to improve on their 1–1 Ivy League record.

Women’s Golf @ Fox Hollow Golf Club: W

The Princeton women’s golf team is hitting their stride heading into the Ivy League Championships later this month. Hosting the Match Madness event this weekend, the Tigers placed first in the four team field after beating Columbia on Saturday and Seton Hall on Sunday. On Sunday, senior Tenley Shield and juniors Amber Wang & Tiana Lau all won their matches to claim the win for the Tigers. They head to the Harvard Invitational next weekend in their final event before the Ivy League Championships.

Women’s Tennis vs. Penn: W 5–2

The women’s tennis team opened Ivy League play on a high note with a 5–2 victory over Penn at the Cordish Family Pavilion and Lenz Tennis Center on Saturday. The doubles team of junior Nicole Kalhorn and freshman Stephanie Schrage — currently ranked 79th in the nation — opened the match with a victory over the top Penn doubles team. Schrage would then add another victory as a single, contributing to two of the Tigers’ five victories in the match. Princeton adds to its great season; the Tigers are now 13–3 and are ranked 42nd in the nation. Up next is a two match weekend against Cornell on Friday and Columbia on Saturday.

Notable Performance: Sam Fish (freshman goalkeeper, women’s lacrosse)

Freshman Sam Fish was a big reason for the Tigers’ success this weekend after making a career high of 16 saves in net for Princeton. Fish came up big when it mattered most; after trailing 4–2 in the early stages of the game, the Tigers were able to go on a 10–0 scoring run thanks in large part to the efforts of their goalie, who buckled down and contested almost every Delaware shot. Fish hopes to ride the career day into next weekend’s showdown with the Crimson.