Tigers edged out by No. 2 Maryland in final moments in 11–10 thriller

Fish_1DX_5664.jpg

The women’s lacrosse team took No. 2 Maryland to the wire, building on a strong lead to stay ahead for the first 50 minutes of the game. However, the Terps came back as a free-position attempt with 45.1 seconds left on the clock gave Maryland the opportunity to steal the game. After giving the Terps their largest deficit all season, the Tigers were unable to hold on and were narrowly edged out by Maryland 11–10.

Princeton opened the game strong, leading by four against their nationally ranked opponents. The Tigers showed off their depth early with a 4–2 lead. Each of the four goals came from a different Princeton player. Junior Elizabeth George added to the lead to give the Tigers a five-point edge. The two teams would trade blow for blow leading into halftime. The Tigers led 7–4 at the break.

Despite the lead, the break was bittersweet as Princeton’s star offensive player, first-year Kyla Sears, was called for her second yellow card. Consequently, Sears was forced to sit out the remainder of the game. Without their top offensive option the Tigers would have to look elsewhere to keep the momentum going.

Senior Colby Chanenchuk replaced Sears in the second half and quickly stepped up to extend the Princeton advantage. Chanenchuk set a pretty feed to fellow senior Ellie McNulty to give the Tigers their largest lead of the day at 8–4. However, Maryland would make a crucial three-goal run to trim the Princeton lead to one. Despite their lead, the Princeton side found themselves on the defensive until junior Kathryn Hallett found the back of the net to give the Orange and Black a two-goal cushion.

However, the Treps would rally again with another three-point run to launch themselves into the lead at 10–9. With 1:32 remaining on the clock, George completed her hat trick and tied the game at ten apiece. However, Maryland would once again have an answer for the Tigers. Scoring with less than a minute left, Maryland pulled through with an 11–10 win.

While the result is certainly disappointing, the Tigers had a strong showing against a nationally ranked opponent. Princeton outshot Maryland 34–30 and had the edge in draw controls.

The Tigers will try to rebound from this tough loss as they return to Ivy League play. Princeton will have three straight home games in the next three weeks. These games will be crucial as the Princeton team hunts for a title. The Tigers are third in the Ivy League with a 2–1 conference record behind Dartmouth (with a 3–1 Ivy League record) and Penn, who has a perfect 3–0 record in the Ancient Eight.

This coming weekend, the Tigers will face off against the Bulldogs in Sherrerd Field. Yale is fourth in the Ivy League with a 2–2 record. The Bulldogs would climb take the third spot with a win against Princeton.