Tigers defeat Bulldogs by record margin, win 18–4

George_1DX_3413.jpg

The women’s lacrosse team (7–5, 3–1 Ivy) dominated Yale (7–6 overall, 2–3 Ivy) to pick up their third conference win of the season. The Tigers defeated the Bulldogs 18–4, tying a record for margin of victory that was first set in 1989. It also marks the 11th straight time the Orange and Black have beaten the Bulldogs in their head-to-head matchups. The win puts Princeton third in the Ivy League standings behind Penn (10–2, 4–0 Ivy) and Dartmouth (8–3, 4–1 Ivy).

The Princeton squad started the game on the right foot, running out to an 8–1 lead by halftime. The Tigers never looked back in the second half with a dominant 10–3 performance that ultimately sealed the game. Princeton took control of the game statistically, leading the Bulldogs in caused turnover, ground balls, and draw control. The extra possession translated to more shots for the Tigers who held a dominant edge in shots throughout the game. 

The game highlighted the offensive prowess and depth of the Princeton squad. Four Tigers scored hat tricks on that day. First-year midfielder Kyla Sears led the Princeton offense with four goals and one assist. Junior attack Allie Rogers and sophomore midfielder Tess D’Orsi each had four points, consisting of three goals and one assist apiece. Senior midfielder Ellie McNulty also registered three goals in the Princeton victory.

The win was certainly encouraging, especially for a team that narrowly lost a tough match to Maryland (14–1, 4–0 conference) the week before. The Tigers will undoubtedly be looking to carry this momentum forward as they continue their four-game home stand. Princeton will face off against Ivy League rivals Cornell (6–6, 2–3 Ivy), Penn, and Columbia (5–8, 2–3 Ivy).

The game could prove crucial to the Tigers, who are half a game back against Dartmouth. A win this weekend could see Princeton move to second place in the Ancient Eight and within striking distance of Penn. The Quakers currently sit at the top of the Ivy League with a perfect record.

This match will also be a repeat of the 2017 championship match. Last year, the Tigers swept the series against Big Red defeating them once in conference play, a second time in the Ivy League tournament, and a third time in the NCAA. Each of these matchups between the two rivals proved to be a thriller, and Princeton’s upcoming game against Cornell promises the same excitement.

Fans of Princeton lacrosse will not want to miss their rematch against Big Red this season as the Tigers host their rivals at home on Saturday.