Tigers clinch top seed in CWPA championships, perfect 8–0 in conference play

WaterPolo.png

The women’s water polo team ended conference play with a four-game home stand over the weekend. The Tigers faced George Washington, Brown, Harvard, and Bucknell at DeNunzio Pool, winning all four of their matches. The wins doubled Princeton’s winning streak to eight games and helped the Tigers end the regular season with a perfect 8–0 performance in the CWPA. The victories ensured the Orange and Black the first seed in the upcoming CWPA tournament championship, where they will face off against the winner of the Harvard vs. St. Francis game.

The Princeton team entered the pool on Sunday knowing that two wins meant it would clinch the top spot in the CWPA. The Tigers opened the match with determination, scoring three of the first four goals of the game. While Princeton managed to open with a three-goal lead in the first half, the Crimson would always manage to hold off the Princeton offense and keep the game close. The Tigers held a 6–4 edge at the half.

As the final quarter began, the Crimson once again rallied, managing to close the gap to just one goal. However, that was as close as the Tigers would allow the game to get. With Harvard gathering momentum after two consecutive goals, the Princeton side responded with five straight tallies. Harvard would not find the back of the net for the remainder of the game. Princeton would go on to defeat the Crimson 13–7, with three Tigers scoring hat tricks during the game.

The Tigers would carry their strong performance into the afternoon. While Princeton started off on rocky footing, the team proved its resilience and weathered the storm. Bucknell began the game with a 4–1 lead. The Tigers would get some offense going later in the match, but still found themselves down 5–3 as halftime came. However, the Bison would not find the back of the net after the second quarter. A strong Princeton defense helped the Tigers keep a clean sheet for the final 17:53 of the game.

Princeton’s defensive effort was matched by its prowess on the offensive end. The Tigers would score nine more times before the final whistle to end the game with a 12–5 victory. The Tigers will look to continue their perfect performance in conference play as they prepare for the CWPA championships.

The Tigers will face the winner of the Harvard and St. Francis match on April 27.