Golf preps for Ivy League championships

Evan Quinn

Heading into the Ivy League championships this weekend, men’s and women’s golf hope for wins to secure bids to the NCAA tournament. The league showdowns will run Friday through Sunday, with one round each day. While the course is not at “home” per se, the Tigers may benefit from the courses’ close proximity to Princeton: the men’s tournament will be held at Stonewall in Elverson, Pa., and the women’s will be held at Metedeconk National Golf Club in Jackson, N.J.

Men’s golf hopes to capture the championship after finishing in third place last year. The team will return four of its top five golfers. Look out for sophomore Evan Quinn, who has had a stellar season. Finishing third in the roster for the Tigers at the Ivy League championships last year, Quinn has led the Tigers throughout this season. The team finished in the middle of the Ivy League pack last weekend at the Princeton Invitational, tied with Cornell, ahead of Harvard, Columbia and Brown, but behind Yale and Penn. 

Women’s golf enters the tournament as the returning league champs, hoping to capture a second straight title. Princeton returns with three of its four top golfers from last year: 2017 Ivy League Champ junior Amber Wang, second place finisher sophomore Alison Chang, and sophomore Maya Walton, who finished in seventh place. The Tigers are coming off of a fourth place finish at the Harvard Invitational, where they finished ahead of league competitors Brown and Penn but behind Harvard. Last weekend featured several strong individual performances, including a personal low score from the team’s sole senior, Tenley Shield.

“It’s always fun to have a low round, and it's easier for me to play well when I push any individual focus on myself away and focus on contributing to the team,” Shield said, reflecting on her exceptional performance. “I’m so confident that my teammates will be playing well that it allows me to be way more loose on the course, and also makes me fight for every shot, and I know a lot of my teammates feel the same way.”

“We like to take our tournaments one round at a time, and we have team scoring goals we try to meet every time we play,” Shield said, anticipating the championships this weekend. “For Ivies this will be no different, and each day we will focus on our own team and what we need to do ourselves, as that’s all we can control. Of course, our goal is to win Ivies this weekend, but we will do that by focusing on the same goals we have been all season long.”

“The biggest challenge is always playing your best golf when you need to, which I’m confident we can do this weekend if we focus on ourselves and take it day by day,” she added.