Men's dominate with fourth consecutive Ivy Heps title, Women's finishes sixth despite strong individual performances

group.jpg

Princeton’s track and field teams showed their abilities two weekends ago at the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships. The men’s team finished first of eight teams and the women’s team finished sixth of the eight teams, creating much excitement for the upcoming outdoor season. Here’s a recap of how the teams did:

Despite the low overall team score, the women’s team finished Heps with many strong individual scores. Senior Christina Walter had stellar performances in both the 60m and 200m dashes, breaking Princeton’s record in the 60m with a personal best time of 7.56 seconds. In the one-mile race, first-year Sophie Cantine placed fourth with a time of 4:52.97 and junior Madison Offstein placed sixth with a time of 4:53.32, a personal best.

In the 500m race, sophomore Devon Block-Funkhouser and junior Allison Glossinger placed fifth and sixth, respectively, each earning points for the team. In throwing, senior Kennedy O’Dell threw a personal best in shot put and placed third overall in the weight throw. Triple jump competitor junior Kerri Davidson placed fourth, adding on points for Princeton. The Tiger women wrapped up their last indoor meet with many personal bests and a few school records. They will continue with their outdoor season at the UNF Spring Break Open in Jacksonville, Fla. on March 23.

The men’s track and field team won its fourth consecutive Ivy Heps title with the largest margin of victory ever recorded, winning with 68 points more than second place Penn. Junior Adam Kelly won the weight throw and senior Mitchel Charles won the shot put, adding points to Princeton’s total. Mile runners, seniors Garrett O’Toole and Noah Kauppila, won first and second, respectively, in the event. 

Sophomore Joey Daniels ran an Ivy League meet record and a new personal record to win the 60m hurdles in 7.81 seconds. Daniels was also named the co-Most Outstanding Track Performer during the meet. Seniors Josh Freeman and Josh Ingalls both added points to the Tigers’ total with a win in the 400m and a fifth place finish in the 500m, respectively. First-year Jeffrey Hollis and junior Andrew Diehl took fifth and sixth place in the high jump while senior Lane Russell and junior Stefan Amokwandoh took third and sixth place in the triple jump. 

Adding some excitement to the Heps victory, senior William Paulson lapped Cornell’s anchor during the 1600m relay race which allowed for a final victory for the Tigers. The men’s team will also continue with the kickoff of the outdoor season at the UNF Spring Break Open on March 23.