Halftime Recap: Meyers lights it up as Tigers lead by sixteen

Tigers lead 35-19 at the half

DSC_0006.jpeg

While yesterday’s game saw freshman guard Carlie Littlefield take over from deep, this game’s three-point hero has been freshman guard Abby Meyers, who crashed through the Penn defense and helped the Tigers lead 35–19 at the half.

The Tigers lead the Quakers in the 2018 Ivy League Tournament final — a rematch of last year’s Tournament final which saw Penn take home the prize. Last year, the Tigers struggled to find space outside and watched as Penn’s physical players took control down low. This year, Princeton has been able to thus far neutralize Penn down low by dominating the offensive glass and converting open three-point looks.

The Tigers started out hot scoring the first eight points of the game. Early on, Littlefield was able to break a Penn full court press and find the Ivy League Player of the Year — sophomore forward Bella Alarie — open in the corner for an easy three. That play set the tone as Princeton was able to show they could score on Penn’s defense, which has been the second best in the league this year.

On the flip side, Penn was unable to show they could score against the Tigers, who were the best defense in the Ivy League all season. Penn shot a miserable 7.1 percent from the field in the first quarter and scored only three points as the Tigers tossed up threes from behind the arc, jumping to a 19–3 lead at the end of the first. Meyers was key to the Tigers offensive burst, scoring the final 11 points for Princeton in the third quarter on three consecutive three-point shots.

In the second quarter, Penn was able to establish some footing after they scored seven in a row off of plays by Tori Crawford, Anna Ross and Katie Keenum, cutting the lead from 24–3 — the largest of the game for the Tigers — to 24–10. But the Tigers responded to close out the half after Littlefield drained a three to halt the Penn run. The teams traded buckets for the rest of the stanza and Princeton extended the lead to 19 right before the half.

Meyers leads all scorers at the half with her 15 points while Alarie leads all players in rebounds with 9. The Tigers have taken a dominant 27–15 edge on the glass, leading to plenty of offensive chances and plenty of made three pointers.

In the first half, the Tigers showed that they could stymie Penn’s physical play by winning match-ups beyond the arc and making the most of second chance opportunities. And if they can keep it up, the Tigers will be ending the night hoisting a trophy and celebrating a trip to the Big Dance.