Q&A: Favorite Courses and Why to Take Them (aka Last-Minute Shopping Guide)

The semester is just a week in, and while some of us might be done shopping for courses, there are always those who need a bit more time. In order to help and give you better ideas as to what interesting courses people are taking this semester, I went around and asked people which course was their favorite so far and what led them to try it out. As a follow-up, I also asked them what they think of the class a week into the semester.

Olivia Rhodes ’19: Urban Blues and the Golden Age of Rock (MUS 264)

I chose this course because all of my friends were taking it, and I took a previous music class with the same professor which ended up being really interesting. So far it is too early to tell whether I will love it, but the music we've listened to so far seems great.

Lena Dubitsky ‘18: Designing Sustainable Systems (ENE 202)

I picked this course for my certificate but the subject matter seemed really appealing. The course focuses on global environmental issues and includes a project on environmental initiatives on campus. It is a good introductory class which makes it accessible to a lot of people with different backgrounds. In addition, the work load is pretty light.

Michael Prablek ’19: Civil Liberties (POL 316)

A friend of mine was taking this course, and I didn’t want to go to the other politics course I was enrolled in. The class is broadcast online for free, but the professor doesn’t really write anything down which is frustrating at times.

Tom Robbins ’18: Introduction to Experimental Music History and Practice (MUS 313)

The course was taught by a professor who I like and one of the instructors is a member of So Percussion. We’ve only had class once, but it was pretty cool. There were a lot of hands-on assignments in which we made music in class.

Susanna Belt ’19: Children's Literature (ENG 385)

It is a fun course in which I can read Dr. Seuss and have it actually count for a grade; I also get to read and analyze several childhood classics and fairytales. It also seemed like a good way to get insight into what childhood means in our culture. The course is phenomenal. On the first day we watched the trailer for "Peter Rabbit." The professor is also very passionate about the course which is always a plus.

Sarah Mathew ’19: Beginning American Sign Language (LIN 205)

I've always had an interest in sign language. ASL is pretty similar to spoken English, but the way words are conveyed and expressed in it is extremely interesting. The class is a lot of work since we are technically learning a whole new language. The course is taught by a deaf professor. We have an interpreter for lectures but precepts are taught without one.

Rushy Panchal ’19: Advanced Computer Systems (COS 518)

I'm taking this class because I am interested in Systems and and want to take a class that explores some of the literature on the subject in a more relaxed manner than an undergrad course. The class so far is really good, even though it meets at 9 a.m. The course has mostly dealt with reading articles and discussing them, which has made for an enjoyable class.

Conor O’Brien ’19: Language, Power and Identity (FRE 319)

I took this course because it is crosslisted as both French and Linguistics, and it fulfills my last distribution requirement. The reviews were also pretty good. So far the class has been really good. It is interesting to learn how specific languages in certain areas in France, and to some extent in the world, are actively discouraged.