Men's basketball edges out Akron with buzzer beater

henderson.jpg
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

This past Saturday, Dec. 23, the men’s basketball team clawed out a narrow 64-62 victory against Akron after a buzzer beater from junior guard Myles Stephens. After a difficult loss against Middle Tennessee that went down to the wire, Princeton rebounded to win its second match in the Hawaiian Airlines Diamondhead Classic.

With just under a minute left in the game, a three-pointer from freshman forward Sebastian Much gave Princeton a three-point advantage, breaking a deadlock that threatened to throw the game into overtime. A successful defensive possession gave the Tigers an opportunity to make it a two-possession game, but a missed one-on-one opportunity gave the Zips an opportunity to tie the game. Akron did just that, nailing a three-pointer to tie the game at 62 apiece.  

Nevertheless, the Tigers maintained their composure. With just five seconds remaining on the clock, Princeton knew it would have to execute a quick play. Much took the inbound pass, finding an opening for Stephens under the bucket. A bank lay-up by Stephens sealed the game for the Tigers as the clocks ticked away.

Senior guard Amir Bell led the Orange and Black side with 16 points, shooting a remarkable 70 percent from the field. In addition to the game-winning shot, Stephens added 15 points to the Tigers' effort.

The Tigers will continue their season on Christmas day against Hawai’i. This will be the last game before the Princeton team opens Ivy League play against Penn at the Palestra on Jan. 5.