Full day of hoops tomorrow with double header action at Jadwin

schwieger.jpg

The women’s and men’s basketball teams play games back-to-back at home in Jadwin Gymnasium on Wednesday, Nov. 27. The women’s game against No. 25 Villanova will tip first at 5:30 p.m. and will be immediately followed by the men’s game at approximately 8 p.m. against Lehigh.

For the women (3—1), the game will be important as they face what is their biggest challenge yet this season, playing a ranked Villanova team. The Tigers have played close games all year so far, which could give them the confidence that they need to be able to defeat a talented Wildcats team. Princeton is led by its underclassmen with two freshmen, guard Abby Meyers and guard Carlie Littlefield, winning the last three Ivy Rookie of the Week awards. In addition to these two freshmen phenoms, sophomore forward Bella Alarie, last year’s Ivy League Rookie of the Year, is averaging nearly a double-double in her last 22 games at 14.1 points and 9.0 rebounds. In 19 of 22 those games, Alarie has scored in double figures and has had nine double doubles in the same stretch.

For Villanova (5—0), who has an early season marquee win over No. 11 Duke, the key has been their defense and three-point shooting. Villanova’s defense is in the top 20 in three-point percentage, field-goal percentage, blocked shots, and scoring defense. Just one of their opponents has scored 60 points this season. The three-point shooting for Villanova has sparked their offense all year with both of their top scorers, Adrianna Hahn and Kelly Jekot, shooting better than 30 percent from beyond the ark. Shutting this down will be a key for the Tigers.

On the men’s (2—3) side, Princeton will be looking to stretch its winning streak to three after a 0—3 start. All-time, the Tigers lead Lehigh 31—4 in the series, including winning the last 17 games that they played the Mountain Hawks at home. Princeton is led on offense by its trio of junior guard Myles Stephens, junior guard Devin Cannady, and senior guard Amir Bell who have accounted for at least 55.6 percent of the team’s points in each game so far this year. Before the game against Lafayette, these three had been the only players to score in double figures this season when they were joined by freshman forward Sebastian Much.

Lehigh (3—3) will be coming to Jadwin on Wednesday night looking to rebound after back-to-back losses to No. 10 USC and Pitt, both major conference foes. The Mountain Hawks so far this year have struggled on the glass, having been outrebounded by all five of its D1 opponents so far this season. This is certainly an area that Princeton will be highlighting, having won the rebound battle twice so far this season after having been outrebounded last year by Lehigh.

If you’re unable to make the trip down to Jadwin, both games will be streamed on the Ivy League Digital Network and the men’s game will be broadcast on NBC Sports Philadelphia. In addition, the men’s game will be available on WPRB 103.3 locally in Princeton and through the TuneIn app online. You can follow the women’s game live on their Twitter, @PrincetonWBB, and the men’s game live on their Twitter, @Princeton_Hoops.