Women's volleyball completes perfect weekend at Villanova

The women’s volleyball team finished the Villanova Tournament with a perfect record after completing a 3-1 comeback against the University of Connecticut. The Tigers, now 6-1, seem to have gathered momentum as they recorded their fifth straight win this past weekend. The team will undoubtedly be looking to carry this streak through the week as they look ahead to Ivy League play.

Despite narrowly losing the first set, the Tigers maintained focus to win the next three sets comfortably. The offense was led by Natasha Skov, who led the team with 16 kills. Three other Tigers recorded at least nine kills, contributing to the squad’s balanced offense. In addition to their stellar offensive display, the Tigers’ defense also stifled the Huskies, keeping their attack percentage to .155. Senior co-captain Maddie Huber led the defense with a career-high 28 digs.

Earlier this past week, the Tigers also put on strong performances against Albany and Villanova, sweeping both teams 3-0.

While this is certainly a strong start to the season, the Tigers will be looking to improve their game as the season progresses. After all, the Princeton team had won the Ivy League title the previous season and shared the title with Harvard the year before that. Undoubtedly, the team will be seeking to defend their crown and earn the coveted spot in the NCAA that comes with it.

Indeed, last season the Tigers held an impressive 13-1 Ivy League record. Their only conference loss came from Yale in a heated five-set match at New Haven.

However, the team will have some big holes to fill after graduating key players. In particular, the loss of two-time Ivy League Player of the Year Cara Mattaliano will leave a dent in the Princeton offense. Furthermore, the team will need to find a new presence to fill in for three-time all-Ivy middle Brittany Ptak.

Luckily for the Tigers, Head Coach Sabrina King has shown a knack for developing young talent. The 2016 season featured three freshman starters who had a dramatic impact on the Princeton squad from day one. This year, Princeton will welcome another trio from the Class of 2021 as they enter a new season.

The Tigers will undoubtedly have a target on their backs this year as they look to repeat the successes of the previous season. However, the Princeton squad has shown their ability to perform under pressure before. Regardless, this season should prove to be another exciting year for fans of Princeton volleyball. The Tigers will continue the season this Friday, Sept.15 against American University.