USG pioneers first-gen low-income student task force

Undergraduate Student Government is currently seeking applicants for its First-Generation Low-Income Student Task Force. The task force, created March 29, seeks to address the concerns of low-income and first-generation students.

The goal of the initiative is to bring together a group of students to discuss the challenges that low-income and first-generation students face on campus and develop recommendations for addressing them.

According to FGLI task force member Soraya Morales Nuñez ’18, the task force is part of a larger initiative by USG to get in touch with student groups on campus with which USG has historically not been in contact. Morales Nuñez also said that she hopes the task force will continue the momentum of current campus movements that seek to improve the conditions of low-income and first-generation college students.

“We want to bring an important part of the Princeton community into the USG, and understand how USG can serve as a platform for these students,” Morales Nuñez said.

The FGLI task force would meet two to three times a semester to discuss the current campus environment as well as possible solutions to issues affecting first-generation, low-income students. Additionally, the task force will work with established student groups for first-generation and low-income students, such as QuestBridge, as well as campus administrators regarding campus policy changes.

FGLI task force head Ruby Guo ’19 said that the task force was hoping to aid in the implementation of campus policies that reduce the burden of being low-income or first-generation, as well as provide a forum of discussion for students who did not participate in other related programs such as the Scholars Institute Fellows Program or the Princeton Hidden Minority Council. Particular issues of interest for the task force include eating club accessibility, access to facilities for independents, and the affordability of study abroad programs.

The task force will also be reaching out to peer institutions to further develop recommendations for new initiatives, according to Morales Nuñez.

Task force members June Philippe ’20 and Michael Asparrin ’19 were not available for comment at the time of publication. 

The task force is currently looking to take 10 members. However, Guo indicated that, due to greater than expected interest, the task force was considering the possibility of accepting more members.

The FGLI task force will be accepting applications through Friday, March 31.