Student Response: Quotes That Resonate

Words resonate with us in different ways and have the ability to move us deeply. In line with the theme of words this week, The Street interviewed students about quotes that inspired and motivated them in Princeton.

Catalina Vives, 2019

“Life’s not about how hard of a hit you can give… It’s about how many you can take, and still keep moving forward.”

DP: That’s deep!

CV: But it’s true! It’s life. It’s not actually how much you can accomplish, but how much you can handle and how you deal with difficulties life throws at you.

Lillian Wilkins, 2019

“The only way to move fast is to move fast.”

LW: I don’t know if this qualifies as a quote but there is something my dance teacher would always say. I actually recently used it too in a rehearsal that I was leading! …In tap dance, sometimes there were moves we struggled doing really fast, and she [my dance teacher] would say this.

unnamed-1

Lillian (left), Catalina (right)

Darius Avens, 2018

“God does not play dice with the universe.” – Einstein

DP: Do you think by “God,” he meant “God,” as we use it in a religious context?

DA: Actually, while many people take this to mean he was religious, he later said he didn’t believe in a personal God. It’s actually about how he thought the randomness of quantum mechanics to be incompatible with his belief that the universe was completely governed by some ultimate set of physical laws.

DP: So he believed in a universal order beyond quantum mechanics?

DA: I think it’s pretty interesting that a man who was able to predict things like gravitational waves decades before their detection based on pure theory was unwilling to shake his innate belief in universal order, despite the evidence to the contrary.

Emily McLean, 2020

“I just felt like running” - Forrest Gump.

DP: That’s interesting! Why do you think it was the first quote you thought of?

EM: I just really like the movie; it brings back good memories. There’s something free-spirited about the quote.

Emily McLean

Ethan Sterenfeld, 2020

“They agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.” - Joseph Heller from Catch-22.

DP: Why do you think this one stood out to you?

ES: I just think it captures the essence of education: curiosity. It is good to ask questions; it is how we improve as human beings. Also, I loved the movie as a whole, so the quote was memorable to me.

Ethan Sterenfeld

Laura Zecca, 2020

“The only place where the word success comes before work is the dictionary.”

DP: Does this quote motivate you to work for your goals?

LZ: It’s not that this quote motivates me, but it is good to remember that I shouldn’t expect success if I don’t work for it.

Catherine Song, 2020

If you can dream it, you can do it!” – Walt Disney

DP: Oh that was very quick! …And enthusiastic!

CS: Yes! I think it’s super empowering. Princeton was one of my dreams! It is a very optimistic thought but motivates me to set goals.

Catherine Song