Women's soccer draw the Bulldogs in first Ivy League match

The women’s soccer Ivy League season opener against Yale ended in a draw this past Saturday, Sept. 24.

While Princeton prevailed 3-0 in last year’s opener in Roberts Stadium, Yale capitalized on their home-field advantage this year to come back late in the second half and finish with a 1-1 final score.

Freshman forward Abby Givens scored nineteen minutes into the first half. To score her second goal of the season and of her collegiate career, she masterfully finished junior midfielder Natalie Larkin’s lofty cross taken from junior midfielder Vanessa Gregoire’s corner kick.

Yale equalized the score in the 74th minute with Aerial Chavarin’s breakaway that drew freshman goalkeeper Natalie Grossi from the goal and allowed Chevarin to easily knock the ball in the back of the net.

As the Tigers have held the upper hand against the Bulldogs in women’s Ivy League soccer history, the tie is the first between the two teams since 1999. The all-time record now stands at 24-12-3.

Princeton now has a 7-1-1 cumulative record and 0-0-1 record in the Ivy League conference, while Yale has a steady 4-3-2 season record and an identical 0-0-1 record for the Ivy League.

At the top seats in the league are Harvard, Columbia, and Brown, who beat Penn, Cornell, and Dartmouth, respectively, in their Ivy season opening matches.

Senior forward Tyler Lussi explicitly stated the collective goal for the anticipated match: “The Ivy League games are our entire season. Nothing else that we have done this year matters. We are walking into Reese Stadium Saturday having played eight non-Ivy League teams in what we consider training matches. Although those matches have been beneficial to gauge our progress according to our coaches, we are going to Yale for one purpose. Win.” Though she and her team were unable to take the win on Saturday, another opportunity awaits this upcoming weekend.

This Saturday, Oct. 1, is a chance for redemption for the Tigers, who are scheduled to face off against Dartmouth at Roberts Stadium at 1pm. Hosting its first home Ivy League match, the team this time can claim the home field advantage, which both Lussi and head coach Sean Driscoll agree plays a significant factor in team morale.

“The confidence and overwhelming support of the crowd often empowers and inspires players to new heights of performance,” Lussi reflected. “Our Ivy home matches this season are Dartmouth, Brown, Harvard and Penn. In the past, legions of Princetonian fans have shown up to these games and their support and collective will has lifted us to win!”

Driscoll also asserts that crowd spirit doesn’t go unnoticed by the players on the field. “I don’t think the students understand how much their participation means. It gives us so much energy and it really lifts the team. It helps us get out of those tough times and gets us back on track. It really just rejuvenates and energizes the team from start to finish, just having bodies out there cheering.”