Princeton rallies in third quarter to claim tough win in season opener

The Princeton Tigers will open their season this Saturday as they host the Lafayette Leopards (1-1 overall, 0-0 Ivy League).

The opener will serve as a strong non-conference test for the Tigers. The Leopards already have two games under their belt: a 24-10 win over Central Connecticut State and a 24-6 loss to powerhouse Delaware, and threaten on both sides of the ball. Of particular note is the Lafayette defense, which has already registered six sacks and forced seven turnovers over just two games.

Regarding this challenge, Princeton coach Bob Surace ’90 emphasized the Leopards’ ability to project power and impose their will on opposing offenses.

“Lafayette did not give up a defensive touchdown in their first six quarters,” he noted. “They are strong, physical, up-front, and athletic on the back end on defense, and by my estimation they’re one of the better defenses I’ve seen in my seven years of coaching.”

Offensively, Lafayette has also proved impressive. Led by senior quarterback Drew Reed, the Leopards have demonstrated an impressive aerial attack, racking up 427 yards of passing offense.

“They’ve got a quarterback who will get the ball out of his hands,” Surace observed. “He is one of those guys who is very difficult to pressure because he is decisive, he reads quickly, and he puts the ball on the money.”

Princeton’s preparation for this opponent has thus far emphasized attention to detail on both ends, looking to counter Lafayette’s stifling defense with physical, focused play.

“One of the big things to focus on will be turnovers,” Surace said. “They went 5-0 on turnovers to win the Central Connecticut game, and it’s very difficult to play a game when the offense doesn’t have good ball security and the defense doesn’t get any takeaways. So that’s been a focus all camp.”

The Princeton offense will be anchored by an experienced cast, led by senior quarterback Chad Kanoff, senior running back Joe Rhattigan, and junior quarterback John Lovett. Together, this threesome totaled over 3,000 yards of offense in the 2015 season.

On defense, Surace also stressed the importance of staying focused and controlling the flow of the game. “Defensively, we’ve got to play great assignment football, and be physical,” he commented. “We can’t give up big plays, and in the run game and the short-pass game, we’ve got to be awesome on our assignments.”

One area the Tiger defense may attempt to exploit will be the Leopards’ running game. Lafayette has only managed 100 yards on the ground this year, with none of its running backs averaging over 30 yards a game rushing.

Princeton will kick off its 2016 season at 5 p.m. at Powers Field.