USA field hockey overpowers Japan in third straight win behind Orange and Black trio

The U.S. women’s field hockey team clinched its third straight win in Rio by defeating Japan in a convincing 6-1 victory on Wednesday evening. Midfielder Katie Reinprecht ’13 fueled Team USA’s offensive firepower with her second goal of these Olympic Games.

The Americans, ranked fifth in the world, asserted themselves early against 16th-ranked Japan, scoring two goals in the first five minutes. Melissa Gonzalez quickly scored in the first minute, with Katie Bam following in the fifth minute.

Reinprecht scored the third goal of the game with two minutes left in the second period. Her teammate Lauren Crandall took a shot on a corner, and Reinprecht tipped it into the goal cage. This marks her second goal in the Rio Games, her first one being against Australia on Saturday.

The U.S. scored three more goals in the second half. Two came from Bam, and the third came from substitute Jill Witmer. Mie Nakashima scored a goal to get Japan on the board.

With the win, the U.S. squad continues to share the top spot in Pool B with Great Britain. Australia and Argentina share the second spot, and India and Japan are tied with one point apiece. Team USA, which has already earned a spot in the quarterfinals, will play India on Thursday at 6:30 p.m. EDT.