Men's Volleyball falls to George Mason

This Saturday, the men’s volleyball team traveled to Fairfax, Va., to face EIVA conference rivals George Mason. Despite a strong effort from the Princeton squad, the Tigers fell to the George Mason Patriots in three sets.

The Tigers knew heading into the match that they would be facing an uphill battle. Indeed, the Patriots, who have been experiencing a recent boost in form, had won their last four games before defeating the Tigers. This is the longest winning streak under their current head coach, Jay Hosack.

Sophomore outside hitter Kendall Ratter started the Princeton effort on the right foot with a kill to take the first point. However, George Mason quickly returned the favor, and the two teams battled it out, point for point. The momentum would shift toward the Tigers later in the game as they opened their biggest lead of the night, 17-12, forcing a Patriot timeout. Princeton managed to maintain a one-point advantage, 25-24, heading into the end of the match. But two Princeton errors gave the match to the Patriots, who won the set 27-25.

This loss would be the Tigers' best opportunity to claim a set against George Mason. The Patriots started the second set with three straight points and opened a seven-point lead, 18-11, during the middle of the match. Yet, the Tigers would continue fighting, starting a 5-2 run. However, Mason’s Paco Velez would ice the set for the Patriots with crucial kills down the stretch.

The Princeton squad would once again fight tooth-and-nail in the third set. While Mason maintained the lead throughout the match, the Tigers placed heavy pressure on the Patriots, cutting the Mason lead to one point. Led by senior outside hitter Devin Stearns, who led all players with 15 kills, the Tigers forced themselves back into the game.

However, the Mason squad remained composed and weathered the storm to open a five-point lead. Although the Tigers would bring the game back to within two, the Patriots would get the last laugh by winning the set and the game with a 25-21 victory.

The Tigers, who have struggled as of late, will end the regular season with two road games next Friday and Saturday. The Princeton squad will undoubtedly be looking to snap their recent losing streak and end the season with a much-needed win.

Their next road match against Harvard would be an opportune moment for the Tigers to seize a game against their only Ivy rival in the EIVA. Their next game against the Crimson also provides the Tigers with the perfect opportunity to take revenge after losing at home to Harvard during their first encounter. Princeton will then travel to Connecticut to close the season against Sacred Heart.

While it has not always been the season the Tigers envisioned, these last two game should provide plenty of excitement as Princeton looks to end their season on a high note.