Cross Country team races both near and far over weekend

Men’s Cross Country

The Princeton men’s cross country team spent a weekend sending team members to races both near and far. This past Friday, seven Princetonians represented the team at the Wisconsin Adidas Invitational, and seven more represented the team in a competition on their home turf, the Princeton Invitational at West Windsor Fields.

All seven of the Tigers who travelled to Wisconsin were competing in the 8K meter race, as the Tigers looked to come out on top in a field of 36 teams. For the day, senior Michael Sublette led the team with a time of 24:18.2, good for 72nd overall in the race. Following Sublette was sophomore Noah Kauppila in 90th with a time of 24:24.9. The final three scorers on the day for the Tigers were freshman Stephen Sum, freshman Jeremy Spiezio and sophomore Kenan Farmer with times of 24:31.9, 25:00.7 and 25:20.5, respectively. Senior Sam Berger and sophomore Wolfgang Beck rounded out the group with times of 25:31.5 and 27:06.7; only times in the top five for a team, however, are counted towards the final score. Ultimately, the Tigers finished 31st on the day with a score of 674.

Closer to home, Princeton had another seven in their own invitational, ultimately finishing 13th out of 21 teams. It was an underclassman who led the charge for the Tigers – sophomore Zach Albright with a time of 24:50.4. Following him was fellow sophomore Charlie Stahl, just about a second behind at 24:51.5. Junior Jack Leahey and yet another sophomore, Rob Stone, were at the middle of the Tiger pack at 25:08.9 and 25:28.8, respectively. Junior Stephen Rosettie was the fifth and final scorer for the team, coming in at 26:15.9.

Women’s Cross Country

The women’s cross country team competed in the Wisconsin Invitational and Princeton Invitational as well, their competition being in 6K meter races. For the Wisconsin Invitational, the Tigers finished 13th overall out of 36 teams and were the top placing Ivy League team at the event. Junior Lizzie Bird was the strongest finisher for the Tigers at 14th overall with a time of 20:00.8. Behind her was senior Emily De La Bruyere at 20:20.6. The last three scorers for the Tigers were senior Kathryn Fleur at 21:03.6, sophomore Melinda Renaurt at 21:15.6 and junior Ally Markovich at 21:22.8.

Princeton earned almost exactly the same placement on their home turf, coming in 12th place out of 24 teams at the Princeton Invitational. Senior Kathryn Little was the team’s top performer, coming in 26th place with a time of 22:05.5. Right behind her in 27th was freshman Allie Klimkiewicz at 22:07.6. Following them, the remaining scorers for the Tigers were freshman Alie Fordyce at 22:53.8, freshman Taylor Bacon at 23:03.9 and sophomore Mallory Edens at 23:17.1.

With this weekend in the books, both teams turn their attention to the Ivy League Heptagonal Championships (known as Heps), taking place on Oct. 30. Both teams are looking to repeat strong performances from last year – the men’s team took first place ,while the women’s team took second.