President of South Africa Jacob Zuma lectures on rise of Africa and democracy

President of South Africa Jacob Zuma discussed the rise of Africa at a lecture on Sunday, saying that Africa has come a long way in terms of establishing peace and democracy.

Zuma noted that while there were only eight democracies in the continent of Africa in 1991, two-thirds of the countries in Africa are now democracies. He also said that there should be more transnational partnerships, including arbitration about resolving borders that were established arbitrarily during colonial times and discussed the creation of economic zones between different African countries.

“Africa will continue to rise,” he said, “and will continue to provide opportunities to help quality of life to rise.”

JT Wu ’16, a Wilson School major, said that he found Zuma’s discussion of the female leaders he had appointed as ministers particularly interesting. Zuma said that educating a man is educating a citizen, but educating a woman is really like educating a nation.

“I thought it was an optimistic, uplifting speech laying out the future of South Africa but also Africa in general,” Wu said. “I thought it was a pretty successful speech in that it put across an image of Africa as being ready to take that next step from freedom as a basic point to prosperity over the next 50 years.”

Zuma was elected for the first time by the Parliament of South Africa in 2009 following his party’s victory in the general election, and was reelected in 2014.

He participated in resistance against South Africa's apartheid government in the 1960s, andserved 10 years in Robben Island prison alongside previous South African President Nelson Mandela.

Zuma is credited with establishing peace in the KwaZulu-Natal region and won the position of national chairperson of ANC as well as the party’s chairperson position for the KwaZulu-Natal region within his own party.

Zuma has also been a source of controversy, having been charged with rape in 2005, though the case was thrown out in 2006. He also faced charges of racketeering and corruption following his financial advisor’s conviction for corruption and fraud. The charges were dropped in 2009.

The lecture, entitled “Africa Rising,” took place at around 4 p.m. in Ivy Club and was organized by the Princeton African Students Association.