Men’s and women’s tennis impress over the weekend

Women’s Tennis Dominates Home Tournament

Opening their fall campaign by playing within the familiar confines of Lenz Tennis Center, the Tigers won 11 of 14 doubles matches and 16 of 19 singles matches over the three-day Princeton Invitational, sweeping aside most challenges from the women of Penn, Syracuse and Temple.

On Friday, the Tigers split the four doubles sets with Syracuse before sweeping all four Penn doubles pairings. The Orange and Black ended the day in stunning fashion, rattling off victories in all six singles matches against Temple.

Fanson Saturdaywitnessed much of the same from the Tigers, who took five of six doubles matches from Temple before winning six of seven singles matches to end the day — all in straight sets.

The Tigers squared off against Syracuse in singleson Sundayto wrap up the tournament, playing their final competitive home matches of the fall before they embark on trips that will take them as far west as Los Angeles, Calif., as north as Hanover, N.H. and as south as Sarasota, Fla. during the rest of the fall season. The Tigers took four of six matcheson Sunday, putting the finishing touches on what proved to be a dominant performance over the course of the tournament.

While it is hard to narrow down the most impressive Princeton players of the weekend, most notable were the performances of sophomore Katrine Steffensen and senior Amanda Muliawan, who each won all three singles contests they played during the Invitational. Additionally, freshman Amber Park, junior Dorothy Tang and sophomore Sara Goodwin all compiled 4-0 records in doubles play.

The Tigers will travel to Philadelphia, Pa. this weekend to compete in the Cissie Leary Invitational as they look to build upon a promising start to their season.

Day Shines in Sunny California as Tigers Impress Out West

Four members of the Princeton men’s tennis team travelled to St. Helena, Calif. to compete in the Porsche Napa Valley Classic at Meadowood over the weekend against strong competition drawn from across the nation.

The tournament featured round-robin play within eight groups of four players each, with the eight group winners advancing to a playoff. The playoff — playedon Sunday — consisted of single-elimination “first-to-ten” super tiebreaks. Juniors Alex Day and Joshua Yablon and sophomores Luke Gamble and Kial Kaiser represented Princeton in the tournament, holding their own against formidable opponents over the three-day competition.

On Friday, Day and Gamble each won their respective opening matches, with Day besting ITA No. 86 Elliot Orkin of Florida. While Yablon and Kaiser dropped their singles matches, they were successful in the day’s doubles portion, as the pairings of Kaiser and Yablon and of Gamble and Day both proved victorious.

Saturdaysaw Day and Kaiser win their singles matches in straight sets, while Gamble and Yablon fell in their matches. Once again, though, the Tigers won both of their doubles sets, featuring the same pairings asFriday.

Sundayproved less successful for three of Princeton’s four. Gamble, Yablon and Kaiser all dropped their matches, ending their tournaments. Day, however, continued to thrive, besting Cal’s Oskar Wikberg in three sets to win his group and advance to the playoff. While Day fell to Texas’ Harrison Scott 10-4 in the first round of the eight-man shootout, his 3-0 record in full-length singles matches and 2-0 record alongside Gamble in doubles play provided plenty of highlights for the Tigers in California.

Men’s tennis will not compete next weekend. They will return to action onOct. 9to host the Farnsworth Invitational at the Lenz Tennis Center.