Soerens, Ratcliffe among strong performers for Tigers at Track and Field NCAA Championships

Soerens and Pons cap careers at NCAA Championships

After serving as the hero in a thrilling Ivy League Heptagonal Championships meet, senior Stephen Soerens was able to showcase his skills on the national stage. He took sixth place at the NCAA Championships in the decathlon, the event he competed in at Heps and the same event he won at Heps to catapult the Princeton men's team into first overall at the meet.

Soerens capped his fantastic senior season by making Princeton history, posting the highest decathlon score ever for a Princetonian with 7,669 points. Soerens' previous high was at his aforementioned performance at Heps.

Sam Pons, fellow senior on the team, competed in the 10k event on the weekend and ran a 29:17.54, good for ninth place in the event. For the championships overall, he and Soerens both earned All-American Honors — Soerens First Team All-American, Pons Second Team.

4 athletes represent Princeton for Women's Track and Field NCAA Championships

A year after claiming her status as the best at hammer throw in college sports, junior Julia Ratcliffe performed well yet again, coming in second in the hammer throw at NCAA's.

Ratcliffe's longest throw went for 67.3 meters, about 4 behind that of DeAnna Prince from the University of Southern Illinois. Despite not coming away with a second championships, Ratcliffe's high mark was still better than her longest from her championship-winning season, where she won with a distance of 66.88 meters.

Ratcliffe acknowledged this improvement, saying she feels stronger than ever coming off of this performance.

"My season overall was going as planned. I am stronger than I have ever been, and up until regionals I was improving every meet." Ratcliffe said. "It was also my best nationals performance to date, so there are positive points and lessons to take away from every competition."

In addition to Ratcliffe's performance, sophomores Lizzie Bird and Megan Curham, and junior Cecilia Barowski also represented Princeton at NCAA's. Bird and Barowski placed 12th and seventh in their heats for the steeplechase and 800m run, respectively. Bird finished with a time of 10:51.92 for her event, Barowski with a 2:08.94 for hers.

Curham, representing the Tigers in the 10,000m race, finished 12th in the event with a time of 34:09.08.