Crew teams enter postseason with optimism

Men’s heavyweight

Last Saturday, men’s heavyweight crew competed against Brown in the Content Cup, winning for the second year in a row. The No. 4-ranked Tigers came from behind in the final 500 meters to pass the eighth-ranked Bears and finish .7 seconds ahead of Brown, leaving the Tigers with an 8-1 overall record, 5-1 in the Ivy League. The varsity boat, the 2V boat and the 3V won their races against Brown, with the second boat winning by over four seconds to conclude an undefeated season and the third boat winning by about six seconds and concluding the regular season with a 7-1 record. Brown boats won both the 4V and 5V races by about three seconds.

With the victory, the Tigers will likely enter the Eastern Sprints on May 17 seeded second only to Yale, who the Tigers fell to the weekend before in their only loss this season.

Men’s lightweight

While heavyweight crew faced off against Brown, the No. 2 lightweight team hosted Delaware, No. 3 Columbia and Mercyhurst, finishing in second place. After losing to the Lions by over nine seconds earlier this season, the Tigers shaved down their margin, missing Columbia by 3.6 seconds while beating Delaware by over six seconds and Mercyhurst by more than 10. The 2V and 3V boats saw successes, beating Columbia by over five seconds and over three seconds, respectively. The Tigers finish the season with an 8-3 record, only losing to Cornell and Columbia this season, which should ensure that the Tigers head into sprints this coming weekend in the third seed.

Women’s open

No. 8 women’s open crew concluded their regular season Sunday with a win over No. 15 USC on Lake Carnegie, setting the Tigers up perfectly to pursue their third consecutive Ivy League Championship. The Tigers won three of the four races on Sunday, with the Trojans winning the 2V race by 1.7 seconds. Two Tiger boats competed in the fours race, with the A and B boats finishing over 14 and 11 seconds ahead of the USC boats, respectively. The varsity eight boat finishes the season with an 8-2 record as the Tigers head towards conference championships, in which the defending champion Tigers should be seeded second behind Brown, which remains undefeated against Ivy League opponents.

Women’s lightweight

Women’s lightweight crew finished third at Sprints this past weekend, and will now start turning its focus to IRA National Championships on May 31. The second varsity eight and varsity four both placed in the grand finals, finishing fourth. The 2V finished less than nine seconds behind Wisconsin, while the four finished around 17 seconds behind Georgetown. The first varsity boat had faced off against defending national champion Radcliffe twice already this season, splitting tight races both times. Radcliffe took the title in the varsity eight grand final with Boston University right behind, with Radcliffe about seven seconds ahead of Princeton. The Tigers have a few more weeks to train and prepare for IRA Championships.