Softball team falls in doubleheaders

This weekend proved a disappointing one for the Tigers, as the Princeton Women’s Softball team dropped twinbills against Dartmouth and Harvard. The Tigers (10-17 overall, 2-4 Ivy League) are now ranked third in the Ivy South division, while Dartmouth and Harvard remain in first and second, respectively, in the Ivy North division. The Tigers played the Big Greenon Saturday, falling 5-0 and 8-0, and went on to face off against the Crimsonon Sunday, falling 2-1 and 6-1.

The Tigers fended off the Big Green in the first game of the day for three innings, keeping the score tied at 0-0. Dartmouth scored two runs off of a home run in the bottom of the fourth before scoring another three runs off of five hits in the bottom of the fifth to bring the score to 5-0. The closest Princeton came to scoring was in the fifth inning with two runners in scoring position, as the Tigers trailed 2-0. The Big Green carried its momentum into the second game, scoring three runs on another five hits in the bottom of the first inning to give them an initial lead that carried through the game. Dartmouth scored another run in the third inning and another four in the fourth inning, putting them up by eight and ending the game with the Run Rule in affect. The Tigers had four hits in each game, with senior infielder/outfielder Rachel Rendina the only player who had hits in both games, going 3 for 6 on the doubleheader.

The Tigers openedSaturdaywith a close loss to Harvard, beginning the game with a run in the top of the first inning off of a grounder from senior infielder Alyssa Schmidt. Runners were left in scoring position in three different innings, but the Crimson scored in the bottom of the third and seventh innings to win the game. Junior pitcher Shanna Christian fended off Harvard after the third inning, leaving Harvard runners in scoring position in the second and fourth innings and left the bases loaded with one out in the bottom of the sixth. Sophomore pitcher Erica Nori carried the Tigers successfully through the inning before a walk gave the Crimson a run on a two-out single and ended the game.

The second game of the day saw Harvard get on the board right away, scoring three runs in the bottom of the first inning. The Crimson kept up the momentum, scoring again in the third and fourth innings, putting Harvard up 6-0 before Princeton got on the board in the top of the sixth inning. Despite the final score, the Tigers played well in the second game, with five Tigers getting to scoring position, but unfortunately a strong Crimson showing saw Harvard play incredibly well, with six of the ten runners who reached second base reaching home. On Sunday, freshman shortstop/second baseman Danielle Dockx was the only Tiger to have hits in both game, yet again demonstrating what a big impact the Tiger rookies have been able to have this season.

The Tigers will return again to face off against Rutgers (18-9)on Wednesdayat 4 p.m. As ofMondayevening, Rutgers had won its last six games.