Schneider ’17, Jayanti ’17, Schneider GS to represent U. at international computing competition

Eric Schneider ’17, Siddhartha Jayanti ’17 and Jon Schneider GS will represent the University at the upcoming Association for Computing Machinery International Collegiate Programming Contest in Marrakech, Morocco this May.

ACM is an educational and scientific computing society comprised of computing educators, professionals and students.

The contest allows hundreds of teams, each consisting of three students, to work together and solve a series of problems with mathematical algorithms.

A total of 2,534 universities and 38,160 contestants from101 countries participated in the regionals-level competition. A series of regional competitions qualify teams to participate in the world final.

This past November, the University had four of its teams participate in the greater New York area regional competition, Eric Schneider said. “Team Schneidartha,” as it is called, came first out of 43 teams, which included teams from Columbia, Cornell, Yale and New York University.

Mike Zhang ’17, competition chair of the student-run Princeton ACM group, organized an inter-school qualification round to determine teams for the regions, Eric Schneider said.

Zhang deferred comment to Adam Schneider, the current team coach. Adam Schneider,Eric Schneider's father, volunteered to be the chaperone and coach for the team after Zhang, the original coach, found that he was unavailable to accompany the team to the world finals.

Both Adam Schneider and Eric Schneider are not related to Jon Schneider.

Jon Schneider did not respond to requests for comment.

Adam Schneider said his role would mainly consist of coordinating transportation, finalizing approval for funding as well as keeping in contact with the ACM contest.

“Other universities will have a whole program and process that focuses on this competition and trains for this program,” Adam Schneider explained. “Usually, the coaches are professors or the chair of the computer science department.”

In preparation for the upcoming ACM International Collegiate Programming ContestWorld Finals competition, Eric Schneider said the team aims to improve programming speed and accountability by learning different algorithms and techniques, which are important to performing well in the competition.

“If you are constructing a building, you work things out on paper and then add the specifics, perhaps modifying things as you go,” Eric Schneider said to explain how algorithms play into the problem-solving process. “We first figure out how to solve the problem and then make the code that does it.”

Jayanti said knowing theoretical algorithms helps competitors understand the various components of the problem.

“The algorithms are the basic problems that everyone knows how to solve,” Jayanti said. “It comes down to putting them together in the right way.”

The 39thAnnual World Finals of the ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest, sponsored by IBM, will take place from May 16 to 21. Mohamed V University, Al Akhawayn University, Mudiapolis University and the Moroccan ACM will host the competition.