Lindy Li ’12 files paperwork for congressional candidacy

LindyLi_PUCommunications_WEB
LindyLi_PUCommunications_WEB

Lindy Li ’12 is running to represent Pennsylvania's Seventh Congressional District in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Lifiled her statement of candidacy paperson April 9, whichis early given that the next congressional elections will take place in 2016 and no other Democratic candidates have filed.

She is 24 years old but will be 26 by the time she would take office in January 2017. She would, at age 25 in 2016, be the youngest woman elected to Congress. The next youngest woman, Elise Stefanik, was 30 when she was elected in 2014.

“This has been 24 years in the making,” Li said. “There has never been a doubt in my mind that I was born to serve this country.”

Li could also be the only woman to form Pennsylvania's congressional delegation if she wins in 2016 and no other woman does.

If Li won the Democratic primary, she would be expected to run against the Republican favorite, incumbent Patrick Meehan. The district is typically competitive and has been given an exactly "even" rating by the Cook Partisan Voting Index.

Meehan did not respond to requests for comment.

During her time at the University, Li served as Class Council president, and was the only woman to be elected to serve four consecutive years as her class president.

Li said the experience gained during her time as class president has helped her to prepare for her candidacy.

“I never want to lose my vulnerability but serving as class president gave me strength,” Li said.

Li also founded the Do it in the Dark campaign, which encourages students to use less energy.The event is still active on campus today.

Alex Rosen ’11, who is also a former Class Council president, said Li was a "great" person.

“She is a really smart, genuine and good-hearted individual, and I really think we need more people like that in politics," he said.

In the last 15 days, Li said she has raised $150,000 for her campaign.

“I think that so much support that has mobilized behind her already is very indicative of her ability to motivate and inspire people despite being so young,” Rosen said.

Kevin Zhang ’16, who is from Pennsylvania's seventh congressional district, said he does not believe having a 24-year-old in Congress is a bad thing.

“Her views probably reflect my own more closely because of it,” Zhang said.

Li said she acknowledged that her age could be a potential political problem.

“This is the first time this has ever happened, that a 24 year old woman threw her hat in the ring,” Li said. “There is going to be a lot of skepticism because of my age but patriotism, love of country, has no age.”

Kelsey Koelzer ’17, another student who would be one of Li's constituents if she wins, said she would be voting for Li.

"As long as you have the right ideals in mind then age should not matter,” Koelzer said.

However, Kate Denner ’18, another student form the district that Li is running to represent, said she does not believe a 24-year-old can provide the expertise the district needs.

Though the Cook Partisan Voting Index gave the district a neutral rating for partisanship, Zhang said he perceived the district as actually leaning toward Republicans.

“Her running as a Democrat probably reduces her chances,” Zhang said.

In terms of policy, Zhang and Koelzer said their district needs meaningful educational reform.

Li said she is a strong believer in private markets and private enterprise but wants to help people who are struggling through no fault of their own, adding that she also wants to represent the concerns of women and young people effectively.

“Right now, young people in our generation have no direct representation, and in Pennsylvania, there is not a single woman on the congressional delegation,” Li said. “That means 50 percent of our population does not have direct representation. There is something wrong with that."

Li plans to officially announce her campaign at Radnor High School, she said, calling itone of the best high schools in the country.

“I am doing this in order to send a powerful message in terms of the value of education and investing in our generation because that is the foundation of our country,” Li said.“This campaign is about us. ... I want to represent the college students of America"