Dietrick places fifth in NCAA Three Point Shooting contest

Senior guard Blake Dietrick had the opportunity to continue her magical season Thursday night as she competed in the NCAA Women’s Three Point Contest, placing fifth overall.

Anyone who saw Dietrick on the court this year can attest to her abilities as a sharpshooter. She shot 40.9 percent from downtown on the year as part of a scorching hot Tiger team. Having gone 31-1, this team is built in large part on its marksmanship — the team as a whole shot 40.5 percent from three on the season, the second best rate in the country.
The selection for the competition is not purely based on three-point shooting percentage. Dietrick's teammates junior forward Annie Tarakchian and junior guard Michelle Miller, who were not part of the contest, shot 46.9 percent and 46 percent, respectively.
Traveling to Indianapolis, Ind., for the competition, Dietrick will pit herself against some of the top ranked shooters in the country. The field sported stars such as Kelsey Harris, Andrea Hoover, Melissa Dixon, Cassandra Brown and Bonnie Samuelson, who rank third, fourth, sixth, seventh and eighth in the country, respectively, for three-point shooting.
Dietrick herself is not officially listed in the NCAA's ranking of top women's three-point shooters. The issue lies in her volume of shots. The NCAA requires a player to have made at least two three-pointers a game on average to be on the top shooters list. Dietrick made 63 in 32 games, just one three-pointer shy of qualifying for the list.
Dietrick held her own in this tough crowd, placing fifth in the first round in a field of eight. Unfortunately, only the top four would move on to the second round.
With the contest behind her, Dietrick can continue preparing for the WNBA draft, taking placeApril 16.