Men's swimming unable to compete in NCAA Championships

After a fantastic performance at the Ivy League Championships, the Princeton men’s swimming team will be unable to compete at NCAA Championships, men's swimming head coach Rob Orr said.

"While the past 48 hourshave been extremely tough for our team and alumni, I am blown away by their maturity, positive attitude and camaraderie and support that they all have displayed in such difficult moments," Coach Orr stated when reached for comment. "We win as a team, we struggle as a team and we will get through this as a team."

The two stars from Princeton’s Ivy League championships victory, senior Harrison Wagner and freshman Corey Okubo, were both unable to compete in their respective events. Individual success was what allowed each to qualify for this stage — Wagner with his first place performance in the 50-yard freestyle, Okubo with first place in the 400-yard individual medley.

In Iowa City, Wagner was forced to withdraw from the event entirely due to a high fever. Okubo defaulted in his 200-yardIM race due to a miscommunication in the race’s start time.

In addition, the relay team of seniors Connor Maher and Michael Strand, junior Jack Pohlmann and freshman Zach Buerger will be unable to compete in the relay portion of the championships. The NCAA prohibits a team from the relay portion of the championships if no there are no swimmers from that team competing in individual contests. The team had competed in the 200 free relay but due to this rule is barred from competing in the remainder of the tournament.

Correction: Due to a reporting error, an earlier version of this article did not list the correct event in which Princeton's relay team competed. The team competed in the 200 free relay. The 'Prince' regrets the error.