Cameron Porter ’15 suffers season-ending injury in Major League Soccer game

Senior forward Cameron Porter, former captain of the Princeton men’s soccer team, has torn his ACL in his fifth game in Major League Soccer. He will miss the remainder of the season, and will be out of action for a predicted 9-12 months.

Porter was drafted in the third round of the MLS SuperDraft (45thoverall) by the Montreal Impact in January. He quickly made a mark on his new team, scoring in stoppage time against the Mexican soccer team Pachua to send the Impact onto the semifinal round of the CONCACAF Champion’s League.

Porter sustained his injury in the first half of a game against the New England Revolution, his first MLS start. According to Sports Illustrated, he had gone up for a header and made an awkward landing, leading to the injury in the left knee. The team has stated that the surgery for his knee is scheduled for next week.

During his final season as a Tiger, Porter was named Ivy League Player of the Year, scoring 15 goals in 17 games. His goal tally both led the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference and tied nationally for most individual goals. Porter finished his career as a Tiger with 31 goals. In addition, he was named first team All-Ivy in both his junior and senior years, and was a starter in all four years of his career at Princeton.

Porter’s current recovery timetable suggests that he should be ready for play by the start of next season.