Track and Field teams experience mixed results in Intersession meets

It appears that finals period did nothing to slow down the Princeton men’s track and field team.

After a two-week layoff, the Tigers had solid performances in both of their meets over Intersession. At the Tiger Open on Jan. 24, the Tigers were able to place first in six events. Sophomore Christopher Cook and freshman Mitchel Charles took first and second place respectively in the shot put, with Cook setting a personal best with his 18-meter toss. Princeton also dominated the 60-meter dash, with junior John Hill, freshman Carrington Akosa, and junior Dré Nelson claiming the top three spots in the event.

Akosa would prove to be instrumental in Princeton’s success at the Tiger Open, going on to win 200-meter dash later that day, with sophomore Brent Albertson coming in third. He was also part of the winning 4x400 relay team, along with sophomores Bryant Switzer, Greg Leeper and Ray Mennin.

Akosa wasn’t the only Tiger to earn multiple victories. The aforementioned Leeper came first in the long jump competition, with teammate Lane Russell tying for third in the same event. The last of the men’s six victories in this meet went to senior Nana Owusu-Nyanteki, who took first in the triple jump.

The following week at the Armory saw fewer first place performances for the Tigers but nevertheless strong showings overall. Three Tigers placed in the top 10 in the mile run, with sophomore William Bertrand coming in fourth, and freshmen Kenan Farmer and Zach Albright coming in 7thand 9th, respectively. Princeton also fared well in the 3,000-meter run, with senior Matt McDonald and junior Sam Berger coming respectively in 3rdand 6thplace.

The relays were unfortunately not as successful at the Armory as they had been the weekend before. The Tigers managed 6thin the 4x400m, 8thin the 4x800m and 10thin the 4x200m.

Overall, the two weekends of competition proved solid for the Tigers. They return to action next week to compete in Penn State’s Sykes and Sabock Challenge Cup.

Women’s Track and Field

In the Tiger Open, women’s track and field had their fair share of success, achieving first in four events.

Junior Julia Ratcliffe picked up right where she left off before finals period. Her first place finish in the weight throw marks her third straight victory in the event. Joining Ratcliffe in triumph was sophomore Allison Harris, who finished first in pole vaulting.

The results in both the 500m run and the distance relay were also excellent. The Tigers claimed four of the top five spots in the former, with juniors Cecilia Barowski and Meghan McMullin, sophomore Elisa Steele and senior Emily Broyles claiming first, second, third and fifth, respectively. Broyles was also part of the first place distance relay team, along with sophomore Zoe Sims, freshman Ashley Forte and junior Katherine Fluehr.

The following week was certainly busier, with the team competing in both Penn State Nationals in State College, Penn., as well as in the Armory Invitational in New York. At Penn State, junior Taylor Morgan placed first in the indoor pentathlon, setting a Princeton record with her score of 3,777. Along with junior teammate Kerry Krause, Morgan also was part of a three-way tie for first in the high jump.

At the Armory Invitational, the Tigers saw solid results but a dearth of first place finishes. Senior Erika Fleuhr, sophomore Lizzie Bird and freshman Melissa Reed finished 13th, 23rdand 28th respectively in the 3,000m run.

The relay races at the Armory were also not as strong as they were the previous week. In the 4x800m, sophomore Katie Hanss, senior Emily de la Bruyere, Sims and Bird finished fifth out of 12 in their meet. The 4x200m and 4x400m teams would go on to finish 10thand 17th, respectively.

As with the men, women’s track and field will have only a week to rest. They also head out to State College to compete in the Sykes and Sabock Challenge Cup this weekend.