U. community gathers to remember Dantzlerward '16

Students, faculty, staff and community members circled around a table supporting a single lit candle in the lobby of Murray-Dodge Hall on Monday night as they remembered the life of Audrey Dantzlerward '16, who was found dead in her room in Edwards Hall today. The gathering, led by Dean of Religious Life and the Chapel Alison Boden, was moved to the lobby after a room reserved for the meeting overflowed.

Participants spoke commonly of Dantzlerward's contributions to campus life, sharp intellect, supportive gestures and friendly demeanor, and the Wildcats, an a cappella group of which Dantzlerward was a member, sung the song “Angel Eyes,” which is traditionally the first and last song Wildcats members sing upon joining the group and graduating.

One student spoke of Dantzlerward coming to her room at 4 a.m. to offer emotional support after discussing with her a difficult personal situation, while another spoke of how she had made him feel welcome during his first week at the University.

Several students discussed how Dantzlerward was the only girl — or student — they had met at the University who had played a particular video game or could debate comic book topics for hours on end.

French lecturer Rachel Hart, who had Dantzlerward in one of her classes this semester, described how Dantzlerward's frequent attire of combat boots contrasted with her bubbly personality and how she brought a wide of variety of outside knowledge to class.

“We were having a discussion on French graffiti art, and lo behold she was an expert on graffiti art,” Hart said to the crowd. “I asked what tagging was, and she wouldn't say, and with a small smile on her face, she turned around and wrote 'Audrey' on the chalkboard. And I'd like to think of her that way, saying 'I was here.' ... I think I'll always remember that memory of her writing her name on the chalkboard."

Mathey College Director of Student Life Matt Frawley said he knew Dantzlerward very well.

“As the years go by, I'm always going to remember Audrey for her great smile, great sense of humor. We had a lot of fun last year when she was Preview service captain. We hung out a lot,” Frawley said. “She was really great.”

Some students expressed regret about not approaching Dantzlerward more often in the dining hall or having fallen out of touch.

Another student recounted how she and Dantzlerward bonded over their multiracial identities and had discussed the particular aspects and challenges of being from a multiracial family, while a different student said she had a passionate and engaging but "mature and kind" debate with Dantzlerward about LGBT issues, which she felt was one of the most significant intellectual conversations she had had at the University.

Chaplain Tara Woodard-Lehman, also the leader of Princeton Presbyterians, of which Dantzlerward was a member, said Dantzlerward lived by the motto, "In life and in death, we belong to God," which was a refrain she told Woodard-Lehman she relied upon when she felt upset or afraid. Woodard-Lehman said Dantzlerward sometimes felt that she "struggled to belong, struggled to find her identity" and that she and Dantzlerward talked often about "finding [one's] tribe." Woodard-Lehman added that students had brought to the gathering all of the qualities Dantzlerward brought to the campus.

The gathering closed with a prayer led by Woodard-Lehman, who encouraged students not to lose hope.

After the approximately one-hour gathering, some students elected to stay and talk with religious leaders and counselors.

Senior Associate Dean of the College Claire Fowler sent an email to students before the meeting asking them to meet with a residential college administrator if they felt coping with Dantzlerward's death was interfering with their academic work. Her death occurred one day before the University's fall semester Dean's Date, which is the deadline for all written work to be submitted for the semester.